My introduction

  • GB Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 25, 2000
      Greetings!

      My experience with marbling has been bittersweet. I am a teaching
      bookartist. I teach a variety of classes re: papermaking and bookarts.
      I would LOVE to add marbling to my class list, but is hasn't happened.

      It's not because I haven't tried, or invested in good materials , or
      spent enough time playing. I'm not sure where my failures lie. At the
      request of some of my school aged students, I experimented, read about
      and spent a great deal of time (and money) and pulled one poor sheet.

      I'd really like to pick someone's brain on how to find some success to
      build upon.

      I buy and use a lot of marbled papers...It would really mean a lot if
      these were MY papers.

      Thanks,

      Geoff
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 25, 2000
        Okay--first off you gotta tell us How and What way you were doing the
        marbling-Then--I am sure there will plenty here who can advise you on
        methods that will bring better results--Go for it!!!!!!
        But I sure have had my days when I have marbled and it has ALL gone
        wrong--so share your story and methods--maybe we all can help.
        Thanks
        Jill

        >From: GB Davis <artdept@...>
        >
        >Greetings!
        >
        >My experience with marbling has been bittersweet. I am a teaching
        >bookartist. I teach a variety of classes re: papermaking and bookarts.
        >I would LOVE to add marbling to my class list, but is hasn't happened.
        >
        >It's not because I haven't tried, or invested in good materials , or
        >spent enough time playing. I'm not sure where my failures lie. At the
        >request of some of my school aged students, I experimented, read about
        >and spent a great deal of time (and money) and pulled one poor sheet.
        >
        >I'd really like to pick someone's brain on how to find some success to
        >build upon.
        >
        >I buy and use a lot of marbled papers...It would really mean a lot if
        >these were MY papers.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Geoff
      • Peter Baumgartner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
          Hi all,
          I am a bookbinder from the South of Germany. During my studies in a
          bindery 1978-1981 I became interested in marbling. My bookbinder-chief,
          an old experienced crafts-man, had some books about marbling, edited
          from the beginning to the forties of the last(!) century. In the late
          seventies there didn't exist actual literature about marbling and so I
          tried to marble with the instructions of this old books. First I went to
          the slaughter-house, where a animal-doctor opened the belly of an ox,
          took out the gall and filled some yellow-green liquid in a
          coca-cola-bottle - this was my first contact with oxgall (and I am a
          vegetarian since this day).
          I am very happy to be a member on this list, because I think it is
          important to have contact with other marblers.
          You can find an intoduction to marbling on my website
          and a "reprint" of a book from the fourties about marbling.

          Please excuse my bad english,

          Peter
          --------------------------
          Peter Baumgartner
          www.papierdesign.de
        • GB Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
            Thanks Jill-

            Some more information re: my experiences-

            Paint-Liquitex Acrylics with Marble Ease

            Mordant- Alum

            Paper - White construction paper

            Size- Methocel

            Problems-

            1) Paint sinking in the size. I experimented in cups. When the paint
            would float on the size in the cup I would then try it in the tray.

            2) Disperal. When I did get the paint to float, it would dispesre into
            a thin translucent film.

            3) Pulling sheets. I had problems laying the sheets on the tray. This
            is a skill problem and just needs practice. When I did pull the sheets
            the paints had mixed and becom muddy. When rinsed nothing much "stuck".

            4) Paper. I used construction paper. Construction paper is cheap (duh)
            and now totes an acid free label. I suspect that it is buffered an the
            alum doesn't do its job.

            I suspect that if I worked with an experienced person for a day or two,
            I could solve some of my problems.

            Let me know your thoughts. I know that there is a lot of room for
            improvement!

            Geoff

            > From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
            >
            > Okay--first off you gotta tell us How and What way you were doing the
            > marbling-Then--I am sure there will plenty here who can advise you on
            > methods that will bring better results--Go for it!!!!!!
            > But I sure have had my days when I have marbled and it has ALL gone
            > wrong--so share your story and methods--maybe we all can help.
            > Thanks
            > Jill

            Geoffrey Davis
            The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
            The Art Department Graphic Services
            Noblesville, IN

            http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
              Welcome Peter!
              Please feel free to put the url of your site in the links section of the
              marbling list page.
              Certainly you have a 'lively' introduction to this process--and I can't
              say as I would blame you for becoming a vegetarian!!!!!!
              As you are posting to this list From Germany---may I ask--what are your
              perceptions of the popularity of marbling over there?
              Where I am--here in Ottawa Ontario Canada--I've not met any other
              marblers--or at least--ones who do as much of it as I do. I Know there are
              others here in my region who do some--but we're few and far between.
              Thanks
              Jill

              >From: baumgartner.papierdesign@... (Peter Baumgartner)
              >
              >Hi all,
              >I am a bookbinder from the South of Germany. During my studies in a
              >bindery 1978-1981 I became interested in marbling. My bookbinder-chief,
              >an old experienced crafts-man, had some books about marbling, edited
              >from the beginning to the forties of the last(!) century. In the late
              >seventies there didn't exist actual literature about marbling and so I
              >tried to marble with the instructions of this old books. First I went to
              >the slaughter-house, where a animal-doctor opened the belly of an ox,
              >took out the gall and filled some yellow-green liquid in a
              >coca-cola-bottle - this was my first contact with oxgall (and I am a
              >vegetarian since this day).
              >I am very happy to be a member on this list, because I think it is
              >important to have contact with other marblers.
              >You can find an intoduction to marbling on my website
              >and a "reprint" of a book from the fourties about marbling.
              >
              >Please excuse my bad english,
              >
              >Peter
              >--------------------------
              >Peter Baumgartner
              >www.papierdesign.de
            • GB Davis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
                Iris-

                Thnak you for the support and suggestions. I'll pull everything out and
                try again soon.

                I have Photo-Flo in stock. Black and white photography is one of our
                regular workshops.

                Thanks,

                Geoff

                IrisNevins wrote:

                > From: IrisNevins <IrisNevins@...>
                >
                > For acrylics, instead of Marble -ease, try Photo-Flo from a camera shop. I
                > use one dropperful into a cup of water, then use that by the drop in the
                > paints until they spread right in relation to each other. Also, sounds like
                > the acrylics are being used too thick.....try thinning with water and see
                > what happens.
                >
                > IrisN.

                > Free shipping through 1/31/2000 at Visualize.com
                > where you'll find limited edition prints & photographs
                > for your home, office, collection or gift-giving needs.

                > Shortcut URL to this page:

                Geoffrey Davis
                The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
                The Art Department Graphic Services
                Noblesville, IN

                http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
              • IrisNevins
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
                  Geoff......EVERYONE has poor beginning marbling experiences! You should see
                  my first efforts! I still have them and occassionally show them to students
                  for a real laugh! If you stick with it, it will likely start to work one
                  day when you least expect it!

                  IrisNevins
                • IrisNevins