Re: attachments

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2001
      I would like to mention to everyone that receive the digest version of this
      list. In doing so, all attachments are excised. If I want to see the
      attachment, I go to the web site. while I agree that the danger is present,
      I also think that safeguarding yourself this way makes a lot of sense.
      Attachments have allowed me to post certain images that i think are list
      worthy, and the recent paper by Takaji Kuroda. Cutting and pasting into the
      message box removes all formatting.

      On the other hand we could just mention we have something, but then I would
      have to wind up sending it to every individual who wants it on a request
      basis. That is more time consuming.

      Some messages are also coming through with a statement "This message is not
      in displayable format". I know that one reason has been posting message to
      a Yahoo list from a Hotmail account. Yahoo seems incompatible with Hotmail
      when you get a digest.

      Most of the viruses that have come through the list are obviously such.
      Again, by getting the digest, it cuts the attachments out, but leaves them
      where I can go back and look if I wish.

      Any thoughts?

      Jake Benson

      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      Hand Marbled Papers
      1319 B Summerville Ave.
      Columbia S.C. 29201
      Phone: 803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...
      http://www.iprofsys.com/bensonsmarbles.htm
    • kentuckygin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2001
        Jake wrote:

        >>On the other hand we could just mention we have something, but then
        >>I would have to wind up sending it to every individual who wants it
        >>on a request basis. That is more time consuming.

        A more viable option is simply to post files to the Marbling List
        file section here on Yahoo. It's not at all difficult and there is
        even the option there to have Yahoo notify everyone of the file
        upload and include a hotlink to it.

        Not allowing attachments does eliminate the viruses and worms that
        are unintentionally sent, and that is what most of these have been.
        Stripping them is just a safeguard for those who aren't computer
        savy, and face it, there are quiet a few.

        Gin
        http://www.ginpetty.com
        http://home1.gte.net/kygin/journal/