marbling society

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2001
      on 11/13/01 2:07 PM, Marbling@yahoogroups.com at Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > The idea of a marbling guild was broached by Polly Fox and Patti Schleicher at
      > San Francisco. Following the Gathering a number of people were asked by Polly
      > (by the way is anyone in touch with Polly or does anyone know how to reach
      > her)
      > to form a committee to consider the idea.
      > Central to the idea was optional accreditation of teachers. There was never
      > any
      > thought of accreditation of marblers in general or making accreditation
      > mandatory. Several conference calls were held but most committee members were
      > so
      > highly concerned that it not be "elitist", highly fearful of the possibly
      > divisive results, and the reactions received were so hysterical (we were
      > called,
      > among other things, "the marbling gestapo") that the committee disbanded and
      > abandoned the attempt.
      > I'm certain that no one who was on that committee would ever try again.
      > Lots of luck, but certainly forget any form of accreditation.
      >
      > Shealgh Smith

      Wow, I really thought accreditation was the main thrust behind the formation
      of the society, or so it seemed. Since the ideas were presented in tandem,
      I can see how I misunderstood that.

      Another thing has made it a lot easier: the internet. Now we have a
      "virtual" group!

      Sorry about posting all the dead Japanese links. It was my 10th email, and
      I didn't take the time to check it first. I'll let Takaji know.

      Jake