Re: [Marbling] Gathering 2002

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2001

      Dear Jill and Fellow Marblers,

      A Society of Marbler's is not a new idea.  It was talked about in San Francisco and got as far as a letter of intent.  The loss of Ink and Gall magazine by fire left a huge hole in our ability to share information and ideas. With the wonders of community email and the internet now may be the time to plant a new seed.

      The models I have are primarily from the American Woodturner's Assoc. an the Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America(ABANA).  Both organizations began with a seed at a conference, both now have regularly scheduled conferences, a magazine, active chapters across the USA and have international affiliations.  Each organization has a 501-C3 non-profit status.

      There has been some "back stage" talk about starting a newsletter.  One of the presentations at the Gathering will be about an online magazine.

      Basic questions to ask the group are:  do you think a Marblers' Society would be beneficial?,  do you like the idea of regularly scheduled Gatherings?,  does a newsletter and/or magazine interest you?, would you want to be involved to make it happen?

      Something to think about, Laura