Re: [Marbling] (unknown)

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 9, 2001
      Yes--a source IN Canada has eluded me as well.....Now there's a thought! WHAT IF us Canucks banded together--Found this stuff here--got it shipped to one of us--subdivided it--and shipped it on again. Just a thought!
      Jill

      I have never found a source for carageenhan in Canada which is ridiculous since much of it originates in Nova Scotia. Yehudah Miklaf when he was living in Toronto found a source but for a huge quantity.

      Shelagh Smith

    • oguzhan tugrul
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2002
        Dear Laura,
        how do I know  if I'm on the participant list in Arrowmont? What to do?
        I want to participate in 'marbled glass' works.
        Wish you and the group  A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
        cordially,
        Oguzhan from ARTISTAnBUL
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 3, 2002
          Dear Oguzhan and Marbling Group,

          I wanted to give you a few updates. If you have
          filled out a directory form with Marie Palowoda
          (marie@...) you will receive a brochure by mail.
          The brochures should be sent out the end of Januray.
          Also, the website will be up by the end of this month
          at www.arrowmont.org.

          Dates to remember: FEBRUARY 21 registration begins.
          You may register online. YOu may want to register
          early since it is being well publicized. Registration
          and meals are combined for a cost of $350 plus room.
          APRIL 25 slides are due for the juried exhibition. A
          prospectus will be in the brochure and on the website.

          Best Regards, Laura

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2003
            Hi Susanne.....I am working on an article for the Marbling Journal on
            papers (Marie....I PROMISE IT SOON, should be another week or two of
            testing a few more papers) I will post my findings ahead on this group. I
            am testing a lot of papers right now, and sadly most don't work, due to
            calcium carbonate buffering.

            The ones I like best right now and will likely choose as my standby papers
            are Hahnemuele Ingres for a textured and Permalin for a smooth paper. The
            Ingres is in big art stores but expensive. Permalin is in NYC at
            212-768-7500. You can request swatch books and sheets to test. There are
            large minimum orders required, I think about 650 sheets. I was considering
            adding suitable papers to my marbling supply line at a discount from the
            art stores, papers I would stock and test constantly and know worked, and
            could keep on top of the rediculous ruination of one good paper after
            another due to the current buffering practice. The papers were so good and
            so very long life before, I find this to be a politically correct selling
            point, and frankly the masses have no clue what it means. There is a place
            for is if desired for sure, but nowadays finding a non buffered paper (many
            of these were also acid neutral by the way so why bother) is near
            impossible.

            I was also speaking to one mill about creating a paper ideal for marbling
            and marketing it as such. One smaller mill is willing to try this if I
            would be willing to test it for them....the catch is the minumum order is
            about 40,000 sheets. I can currently store half of that, the investment
            high, but would be worth its weight in gold to be able to have some good
            reliable paper though.

            Sorry to rant on about this but even some of the manufacturers I have
            spoken to find this buffering silly, but the masses want it because they
            have been fed an idea they have no clue about,and they will lose sales
            unless they do this. It is really a problem.

            Anyway....papers I know work, are the Ingres, Canson...though it is also
            usually heavy, Strathmore Charcoal. I can get my newly buffered Classic
            Linen to work fairly well by using 1 1/2 TBS alum to a cup of hot water,
            but this must be bought in cartons of at least 1000 sheets and I don't
            recomment it anymore anyway. Before anyone faints over the huge amount of
            alum, remember that the buffering is still there counteracting most of the
            alum. I don't know if this works on other buffered papers and frankly am so
            fed up I don't want to try ordering and testing other bad papers. And I
            should mention that the tests are all done with my own paints, I don't have
            time to test how others work.....but any of you who use other paints I
            would really love to hear how they work on what papers. That could be a
            lively discussion here as well.

            Good luck,
            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            Hello marblers, I have been lurking for a while and have decided to ask you

            all a question that has been nagging at me for years. I work exclusively
            with Rising Stonehenge - a heavy printmaking paper. I need to start doing
            some marbling on a lighter weight paper. What is your favorite? Any quirks
            should know about? Where do you order from - in the USA if possible. I
            appreciate in advance any information you would be willing to share with
            me.
            Thanks, Susanne<
          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 9 6:03 AM
              Dear Gretchen,

              You can use air brush colors with Golden GAC 900
              fabric medium. Once the print is dry it will need to
              be heat set by ironing on the reverse side. You may
              find that some of the air brush (ex. phthalo blue) get
              tiny holes in the paint membrane once it spreads to a
              full circle. If you want large stones instead of a
              manipulated pattern this can be a problem. Add some
              GAC 100 to strengthen it. Golden's line of Fluid
              Acrylics also work well. You also want to get some
              Golden Flow Release for a surfactant. The GAC 900
              aids in spreading most colors nicely, but if you want
              to use iridescents or some colors like dioxazine
              purple you will want to add a couple of drops of flow
              release to your mixture. Golden has a wonderful
              folder of information that they will send you about
              their paint. Ask for their marbling instruction as
              well.

              Best,
              Laura Sims
              Indigo Stone Studio

              --- gretchen vansant
              <vansantdesigns@...> wrote:
              > Hello to all....Well I'm fine tuning my fabric
              > marbling,so I'm tring new paints. Golden paints like
              > many of you paper marblers use.I was told to use
              > the air brush colors (unfortunately I only said I
              > was marbling ,not fabric marbling at the store )when
              > I got home I knowticed the instuctions said " not
              > for use on clothes" augh ...So what kind of "golden
              > paints" do I use for fabric (using methol cel bath)?
              > Is there a heatset for this product? and info would
              > be helpful. gretchen

              > removed]

              __________________________________
              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2005
                when I use my own watercolor paints I hang them right up, you just have to get a feel for what the right amount of paint is. If you want/need to rinse I lay them on a slanted board in a big sink and you can just gently pour water over them. Also most American made papers nowadays don't hold the paints as well if at all.

                iris nevins
                Message 7 of 22 , May 12, 2005
                  Iris ,I'm purposely using the nature text,on your recomendation! So lets see! Thanks! Gretchen

                  irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:when I use my own watercolor paints I hang them right up, you just have to get a feel for what the right amount of paint is. If you want/need to rinse I lay them on a slanted board in a big sink and you can just gently pour water over them. Also most American made papers nowadays don't hold the paints as well if at all.

                  iris nevins

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                    Gretchen....ya think maybe they changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?

                    Iris NEvins

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                      I'm useing everything from before I moved. So my paints are low in the bottle , perhapes they got warm when transported accross the country. But I really think its the calcium ,and the temp of the room. I should get some "testing tape?" to test the water ,or the size. Whats the proper Number for alkalitity? I am a methol celulose user. thanks for any help gretchen

                      irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Gretchen....ya think maybe they changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?

                      Iris NEvins

                      Thank you everyone, again I'm trying to solve paint dropping problem. I'm doing everything the same,even more dispersent ,but no luck. First I'm gonna try warming up the room alittle more, afilter on the water source,new paints, If it comes down to it bottled distilled water. But alas using bottled water IS expensive for me. I use 22-26 gallons ,but its better than wasting time energy and supplies! Gretchen

                    • Gail MacKenzie
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                        > I'm useing everything from before I moved. So my paints are low in the bottle
                        > , perhapes they got warm when transported accross the country. But I really
                        > think its the calcium ,and the temp of the room. I should get some "testing
                        > tape?" to test the water ,or the size. Whats the proper Number for alkalitity?
                        > I am a methol celulose user. thanks for any help gretchen
                        >
                        > irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Gretchen....ya think maybe they
                        > changed the paint formula? What brand...are others having the same problems
                        > with new batches of the stuff? Do you use methyl cel or carrageenan...maybe
                        > you got a different grade by accident. Check with the suppliers.Or have you?
                        >
                        > Iris NEvins

                        Yes, Gretchen, I think that Calgon has a product that will help. First,
                        what paints and type of methyl cel are you using? It¹s hard to test the Ph
                        of the paints and I have yet to find a company that will tell me the Ph of
                        their products other than Ruppert, Gibbon and Spider in Northern CA...but,
                        they do have an 800 number.

                        Anyhow, the Calgon product is available by mail through their internet site.
                        It is the powdered form that comes in a box. I used to mix 4 gallons of
                        (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                        and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It¹s the
                        most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                        10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7 and the temperature of
                        everything above 65degrees. Iris and I had an interesting discussion once,
                        about how different our ideal conditions for marbling were!! Good luck
                        again. And to Iris...I can¹t wait to order the new CD!!

                      • carylhanc@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                          In a message dated 11/17/05 10:54:13 AM, gailmackenzi@... writes:

                          > I used to mix 4 gallons of
                          > (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                          > and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It〓s the
                          > most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                          > 10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7

                          Hi!
                          This is interesting information about dissolving methylcel. Every package
                          of methylcel that I have ever bought has you add non-sudsing ammonia, from 1
                          tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon of water to dissolve the methylcel, which raises the pH
                          significantly - anywhere from 8 to 10+. Some instructions, then have you lower
                          the pH back to a more neutral pH by adding vinegar.

                          There must be many types/formulations of methylcel....
                          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                        • Gail MacKenzie
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005

                            > In a message dated 11/17/05 10:54:13 AM, gailmackenzi@... writes:
                            >

                            >> > I used to mix 4 gallons of
                            >> > (very hard) water as cold as possible with one level cup of JM 5 methyl cel
                            >> > and quickly stir in one level tablespoon of the calgon powder. It?s the
                            >> > most perfect product that I could find (and they removed the perfume about
                            >> > 10 years ago) The ideal Ph should be between 6-7
                            >> >

                            > Hi!
                            > This is interesting information about dissolving methylcel. Every package
                            > of methylcel that I have ever bought has you add non-sudsing ammonia, from 1
                            > tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon of water to dissolve the methylcel, which raises the pH
                            > significantly - anywhere from 8 to 10+. Some instructions, then have you
                            > lower
                            > the pH back to a more neutral pH by adding vinegar.
                            >
                            > There must be many types/formulations of methylcel....
                            > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                            > Art and design school
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+and+design+school&w1=Art+and+design+s
                            > chool&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=G
                            > raphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=VEn3B
                            > f6q4tx50zJBMc0tPQ> Art design class
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+class&w1=Art+and+design+school
                            > &w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Graphi
                            > c+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=uVoEvyBiG5
                            > tobVaugf5yxg> Art design degree
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+degree&w1=Art+and+design+schoo
                            > l&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Graph
                            > ic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=YcwtrwxYg
                            > 5nhZe76n6GX2g>
                            > Game art design college
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Game+art+design+college&w1=Art+and+design
                            > +school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5
                            > =Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=st8
                            > Lda3OEbZopG0BVvmdUw> Graphic art design program
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+art+design+program&w1=Art+and+des
                            > ign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college
                            > &w5=Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.sig=
                            > UFSgECyK5CHf1GRuAUS9WA> School of graphic art design
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+of+graphic+art+design&w1=Art+and+d
                            > esign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+colle
                            > ge&w5=Graphic+art+design+program&w6=School+of+graphic+art+design&c=6&s=167&.si
                            > g=is7a4aocJ9woY80pJI7t>
                            >
                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            > the web.
                            > *
                            > *
                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            Opps!! you¹re right. Then, after stirring, I add 1/4 cup white vinegar to
                            rebalance the Ph. The calgon powder raises the Ph besides softening the
                            water. You have to raise the PH to get the methyl cel to stay in
                            suspension. There are at least a dozen different kinds of methyl
                            cel....from ice cream and instant pudding thickeners to making the water at
                            water slides more slippery!!

                          • carylhanc@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005
                              In a message dated 11/17/05 4:16:29 PM, gailmackenzi@... writes:

                              > Opps!! you〓re right. Then, after stirring, I add 1/4 cup white vinegar to
                              > rebalance the Ph. The calgon powder raises the Ph besides softening the
                              > water. You have to raise the PH to get the methyl cel to stay in
                              > suspension.

                              Hi!
                              Whew! Thanks, Gail. I did not know that the calgon powder raised the pH,
                              and figured I was missing something really important!
                              Caryl Hancock in frigid Indianapolis

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 4, 2010
                                Lovely work!!!