Marbling on Wood

  • saints2be@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 9, 2001
      I came across this list while searching for information on how to
      marble on wood. I am in the process of manufacturing miniature mass
      kits for children to be used to teach all the symbolism in the church
      using the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program. I have a prototype
      started. The altar itself is is a wooden box 18" x 8". I would like
      to give it a marblized look.

      So far I've learned from this list that I should not prime the wood
      first. Just start right in with the marbling. Would someone mind
      giving me specifics? What should be on my shopping list? Anything I
      should know before getting started? Any information is much
      appreciated.

      Thanks
      Chelsea Allan
      http://www.bywayofthefamily.com
    • Lavinia Adler
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 9, 2001
        Hi, Chelsea. I think what you might be after is the technique of making
        an object look as if it were made of marble. That technique is what I
        refer to as "marbleizing" as opposed to "marbling" which has many
        patterns and usually doesn't at all resemble marble. You can find info
        about "marbleizing" at any home improvement or hardware store which sells
        paint.

        Lavinia Adler

        On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:32:08 -0000 saints2be@... writes:
        > I came across this list while searching for information on how to
        > marble on wood. I am in the process of manufacturing miniature mass
        > kits for children to be used to teach all the symbolism in the
        > church
        > using the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program. I have a
        > prototype
        > started. The altar itself is is a wooden box 18" x 8". I would like
        >
        > to give it a marblized look.
        >
        > So far I've learned from this list that I should not prime the wood
        > first. Just start right in with the marbling. Would someone mind
        > giving me specifics? What should be on my shopping list? Anything I
        > should know before getting started? Any information is much
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Chelsea Allan
        > http://www.bywayofthefamily.com
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • mpmh60201
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
          I agree with MCS. Marbling over lacquer is asking for trouble in a
          craft with a trillion variances to contend with as it is! Ask your
          husband NOT to finish the turned wood before you attempt any
          further marbling. That seems to be the easiest solution! Trying
          to sandwich the marbling between two finishes really doesn't
          help the situation either. Like paper, different wood species will
          take to marbling in different ways...open grain, tight grain, soft
          and hard woods will all give different results. Try experimenting
          on small pieces until you "perfect" your technique. Also, poor
          marbling on a fine turned wood piece will detract from its beauty.
          Color (or lack of strength in color), and lightfastness of the
          pigments is also an issue as well as proper patterns for certain
          sizes and shapes of wood. MCS is a pro with many years of
          experience in BOTH marbling and wood turning. It takes time
          and great patience to do this correctly! -Milena
        • mpmh60201
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
            I've posted two images on wood in the file. If you're not familiar
            with this pdf format: find the -+ in the upper panel board and set
            to 75%. This will give you the best overall image. Milena
          • mpmh60201
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
              Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
              about the pdf reduction to 75%.
              Milena
            • MELODY BELLOCK
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and middle?
                Melody

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                  If you are referring to the bowl:
                  each section is masked off and marbled separately. The first
                  pattern has to be totally dry before the second is marbled.
                  Although the pattern edges are clear and crisp, I've hand painted
                  metallic copper rings between each pattern to emphasize the
                  designs.
                  Milena

                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "MELODY BELLOCK"
                  <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                  > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
                  and middle?
                  > Melody

                • MELODY BELLOCK
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                    Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
                    And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
                    thanks
                    Melody

                    <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                    > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
                    and middle?
                    > Melody

                  • mpmh60201
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                      Melody,
                      A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
                      grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
                      a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
                      damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
                      as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
                      pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
                      woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
                      solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
                      leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
                      the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
                      One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
                      marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
                      has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!

                      <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                      > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
                      used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
                      > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
                      used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
                      > thanks
                      > Melody

                      Terms
                      > of Service.

                      of Service.

                    • ANGEE
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                        How do we get to the site of the images?

                        Angee

                        > Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
                        > about the pdf reduction to 75%.
                        > Milena

                      • J Dolphin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                          Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
                          files--then click on which one you want to see.
                          Jill
                          > How do we get to the site of the images?
                          >
                          > Angee

                        • Dave Allen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
                            Melina,
                            It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
                            Dave

                            David Allen
                            840 Snowdrop Avenue
                            Victoria, British Columbia
                            CANADA V8Z 2N4
                            (250) 888-9380
                            http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

                            Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
                            be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
                            violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
                            as his principle.
                            Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
                          • cfloate
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                              Melody,
                              You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
                              Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
                              liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
                              The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
                              get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
                              the surface of the vessel.

                              Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

                              Good luck.

                              Carole

                              wrote:
                              > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
                              middle?
                              > Melody

                              Service.

                            • cfloate