Gathering 2002

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2001
      Hello Everyone,

      Oops...sometimes I forget to see if an email is directly to me or to the group before sending a response.  Remembering to post a subject is also one of my challenges.

      It has been so good to hear from several of you.  Some of the questions seemed worth posting to the group.  Since new people are signing on and archives take some time to go through I'll repeat some things and post a few new bits.

      IMG 2002, Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, www.arrowmont.org, September 4-7, 2002 (good-byes on the 8th).

      Juried exhibition:  A prospectus will be posted on the website under construction
                  2-3 slides must ARRIVE by April 30.  The judging will be the following week.
                  80 pieces will be sellected for the exhibition.
      Wednesday:  Opening night, Juried and Presenters Exhibition and Official Welcome
      Thursday: Open Portfolio Day: buy, sell and trade day, and Lectures
      Friday and Saturday:  Slide lectures and demonstrations, Research and Development Fun
                 Room (a hands-on gathering place to try different paints and talk shop)
      Saturday night:  A trolley ride to nearby pavillion in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park for a cookout.

      Before the evening lecture we will show slides from the participants attending the event.  It will be great to see what everyone is doing.

      We would like to have a silent and public auction to raise some money to start an International Society of Marblers.  Anyone that was interested would bring a piece to the Gathering for a silent auction.  A few extra-extra special pieces would be sellected from the contributions for a public auction.

      We have a great group of presenters.  Some of the demonstrations will be edge marbling, using stencils, printing on wood, fabric and clay, suminagashi and paste papers as a decorative twist.

      Soon I will begin posting presenter bios and topics specific to the individuals.

      Best to All, Laura

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2001
        Sounds Great.....Now then, this International association of marblers--what will that all be about?
        Jill
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2001

          Dear Jill and Fellow Marblers,

          A Society of Marbler's is not a new idea.  It was talked about in San Francisco and got as far as a letter of intent.  The loss of Ink and Gall magazine by fire left a huge hole in our ability to share information and ideas. With the wonders of community email and the internet now may be the time to plant a new seed.

          The models I have are primarily from the American Woodturner's Assoc. an the Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America(ABANA).  Both organizations began with a seed at a conference, both now have regularly scheduled conferences, a magazine, active chapters across the USA and have international affiliations.  Each organization has a 501-C3 non-profit status.

          There has been some "back stage" talk about starting a newsletter.  One of the presentations at the Gathering will be about an online magazine.

          Basic questions to ask the group are:  do you think a Marblers' Society would be beneficial?,  do you like the idea of regularly scheduled Gatherings?,  does a newsletter and/or magazine interest you?, would you want to be involved to make it happen?

          Something to think about, Laura