Historic marbled calligraphy for sale

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2001
      Historic marbled calligraphy for sale Hello to all on the list.

      While I wouldn't normally post advertising, I thought that the following may be of interest to list members.  It's certainly worth a  look-see.

      A friend of mine has this calligraphic piece for sale.  It is unusual in that it consists of a Qur'anic verse (ayah) written directly onto marbled paper, signed by the calligrapher.  Usually examples of this type are either calligraphic exercises (mashq), or poetic compositions (qita).  It is rare to observe Qur'anic ayah on marbled paper.

      It is the image on the bottom of the page.  you can click on it to see a larger version.

      http://www.worldwideantiquarian.com/manuscripts/calig_persian.html

      This same dealer also has a fabulous Indian poetic manuscript, unique in that every page is marbled.  Bound in a contemporary Kashmiri style lacquer binding, it features stenciling ('aks, meaning "opposite" or "contrast" in Arabic, is the specific term for this sort of work) : Title page, double columns for the text, catch words, and some decorative motifs, and even animals are found in the stencil technique.  there are also many motifs, including rare examples where the motifs radiate outward from the center of the page, creating a "sunflower" type of design.

      Unfortunately, this particular item is not shown on the web site, and is certain to be extremely expensive.

      regards,

      Jake Benson