Re: [Marbling] how is business?

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2001
      Re: [Marbling] how is business? Hello Iris,

      I just sent off a note to Laura Sims.  I am leaving for the first show since August..so I won't dwell on spelling, punctuation etc.  I was scheduled to do Artrider in September, but traveling on the 11th. left my baggage in the underbelly of Ohare so I had nothing to do the show with!  Got rained out in Milwaukee and then couldn't get home, so September was a terrible month. got a flurry of orders  after the 11th.. and then silence.  Until now, I have more orders than I can fill.  but that is because I spent all of October in a funk and didn't do very much work!!
      The Renwick called this week and said that sales are beginning to pick up.  Boston Cambridge Artist Co-op says the same thing.  The west coast shows which my husband and several friends are doing seem to be the same.  Only 3 galleries cancelled orders.
      I depend on marbling for ALL of my income..last 2 years were so good that we undertook the building of a new house. Now, I am a very stressed person, on occasion.  We will have a roof over our heads, but no furniture!
      It's nice to hear from you.
      Regards, Gail

    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2001
        Just wondered....have spoken to several marblers about how 9/11 affected
        their marbling business. Thought I might report it to the Guild Of
        Bookworkers, but would not use any names. Most have slowed considerably,
        especially those with a large customer base in NYC.

        Personally I am quite slow for this time of year, though I had a busy-rush
        right after the attacks. I'd be interested in hearing from those of you who
        depend on marbling for all or some of your income. The column is due in a
        few days, so I will report anything I may hear from all of you then.

        Thanks,
        Iris Nevins
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2001

          Dear Iris,

          I'm combining 2 emails.  First off your a peach!  Thanks for getting me the bio so fast.  I like the picture.  Tomorrow I'll ask the PR person if it will be useful for you to just send her an attachment direct.

          As far as September 11 goes I was doing a Washington D.C. show the the 15th and 16th and understandably sells were very slow and the mood somber.  However, I demoed and sold work at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville the last weekend of September and had record sales in 3 days.  I sell silk scarves, ties, evening wraps, and jackets.  Mimi Schleicher was there the next weekend with her paper and had great sells that weekend.  People were driving and they were spending.

          The Southern Highland Craft Fair was just in Asheville last weekend and I sold well.  People were not buying the more expensive items, but lots of lower end in the $45 to $130 range.  Asheville is unique in that it is a strong tourist center, easily accessible by road and it is leaf season, so I'm sure that location and timing are huge factors.