[Marbling] Kerri-try no alum

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
      Hi Kerri....and Enid...

      I cannot make the claim that my acrylics work on ALL papers without alum,
      but they do work on most papers without it. If working on paper it really
      needs dilution with at least an equal amount of water and a few test sheets
      to see exactly what the right amount of paint application should be. If you
      put too much of any paint on (even with an alumed sheet) it will have
      run-off. Another side benefit is that they also tend to not need rinsing.
      This is with working with carrageenan size, which they were formulated
      for. They also work on other sizes, but not as well. Even with dilution the
      color is extremely bright. I would switch to these paints solely tomorrow
      except for the fact that they do not give a good traditional looking paper.
      For that, the watercolor is a must, but trickier to work with, and alum is
      a necessity.

      Aluming is a much hated chore....I think artists resent having to do the
      grunt work, and would rather stick to the more creative aspects. I get
      around this by aluming a few days ahead and not having to think about it
      while marbling. If they are alumed and line-dried in 55% humidity or less,
      and stored under boards in the same humidity, you can generally alum as
      many as you want and they will keep indefinitely, years even.

      My favorite papers are the Classic Laid and Classic Linen....they always
      work and are acid free. They need to be ordered by cartons of 1000 in the
      large sheets but are very cheap this way. Look in the local yellow pages
      wherever you may be, under "Paper" or printing supply. Or ask a local print
      shop, they will know where to get it.

      IrisNevins