Kerri-try no alum

  • enidadams@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
      Kerri,
      There are several brands of acrylic colors which can be used for
      marbling without needing to alum the paper. Iris Nevins carries her
      own brand, which works on most papers without alum, available at
      marblingpaper.com. For experimenting and learning or working with
      children, unprinted newsprint and morilla paper work well.

      Anyone have suggestions of better quality papers that work well?
      Enid
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
        Hi Kerri....and Enid...

        I cannot make the claim that my acrylics work on ALL papers without alum,
        but they do work on most papers without it. If working on paper it really
        needs dilution with at least an equal amount of water and a few test sheets
        to see exactly what the right amount of paint application should be. If you
        put too much of any paint on (even with an alumed sheet) it will have
        run-off. Another side benefit is that they also tend to not need rinsing.
        This is with working with carrageenan size, which they were formulated
        for. They also work on other sizes, but not as well. Even with dilution the
        color is extremely bright. I would switch to these paints solely tomorrow
        except for the fact that they do not give a good traditional looking paper.
        For that, the watercolor is a must, but trickier to work with, and alum is
        a necessity.

        Aluming is a much hated chore....I think artists resent having to do the
        grunt work, and would rather stick to the more creative aspects. I get
        around this by aluming a few days ahead and not having to think about it
        while marbling. If they are alumed and line-dried in 55% humidity or less,
        and stored under boards in the same humidity, you can generally alum as
        many as you want and they will keep indefinitely, years even.

        My favorite papers are the Classic Laid and Classic Linen....they always
        work and are acid free. They need to be ordered by cartons of 1000 in the
        large sheets but are very cheap this way. Look in the local yellow pages
        wherever you may be, under "Paper" or printing supply. Or ask a local print
        shop, they will know where to get it.

        IrisNevins