marbling in jamaica

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
      Hello Kerri.

      There is a substance called "Gum Hog" which comes from the Carribean. it is
      the gum exudation of a type of tree (apparently the name comes from the fact
      that wild boars would dig and gnaw at the tree to get at the gum). I don't
      have the Latin name at hand to help correctly identify it. You may want to
      try this material as a size. It was used at the Government Printing Office
      for doing edge marbling for some time (they currently use another gum called
      Karaya- another tree gum-exudation from India). From what I understand, the
      size is similar to Tragacanth, (Kitre) used in Turkey.

      Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
        I was in Jamaica years ago, and as I recall now, I picked up a recipe card
        for pudding made from carragheenan, or Irish Moss....can't remember which
        they called it. Try a grocery store?

        Iris Nevins
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
          Jake! You Never cease to amaze me! ...One thing I will add, is that karaya
          powder and karaya gum is used as the adhesive for colostomy devices here in
          North America. I would never have dreamed it could be used for anything
          else!
          :)
          Jill
          > There is a substance called "Gum Hog" which comes from the Carribean. it
          is
          > the gum exudation of a type of tree (apparently the name comes from the
          fact
          > that wild boars would dig and gnaw at the tree to get at the gum). I
          don't
          > have the Latin name at hand to help correctly identify it. You may want
          > try this material as a size. It was used at the Government Printing
          Office
          > for doing edge marbling for some time (they currently use another gum
          called
          > Karaya- another tree gum-exudation from India). From what I understand,
          the
          > size is similar to Tragacanth, (Kitre) used in Turkey.
          >
          > Jake Benson

        • Kerri
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
            I have no clue as to the substances you have listed but I will ask
            around. This marbling thing is much harder than I thought but
            considering the results, working at mastering it is well worth it.
            Thanks for your help.

            Kerri