Re: colour not staying

  • Kerri
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
      Thanks Gail

      I will also take your hints for the marbling. I once did marbling
      where carageenan was the size and the paper was soaked in alum and
      dried overnight. Howver that was in ac conditions. Everything
      worked like a charm. That was ages ago so unfortunately I don't
      remember much, but under these new hot and humid conditions it can be
      rather frustrating. I will try to get methyl cellulose here...about
      what consistency should I make it. Temps here are on average late
      80's to early 90 degrees F
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
        If the papers were totally dried....were they line dried, or were they
        stacked damp and allowed to dry over several days that way? If so, I find
        the alum doesn't work well anymore unless line dried, where air flows all
        around them. Maybe that's the problem. Try them damper or line dried and
        see if either of these methods help. I generally use 1 tbs. alum to a pint
        of water. It is aluminum sulphate or aluminum potassium sulphate. They work
        best for marbling.

        I.N.
      • Kerri
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
          Yes the papers were totally lined dried and were used the same day
          but it's a good thing you mentioned the quantity of alum. I would
          never have thought that too much may cause a problem as well. I will
          try all the suggestions I have received and post the results. Thanks
          again for all the help.
        • Gail MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
            Re: [Marbling] Re: colour not staying Good Morning Kerri,

            Did you know that amusement park water slide rides are the greatest consumers of methyl cell? Whatever thickness whoever you buy it from tells you to mix up...  it is no problem to add more water to thin it out at any later time.

            Iris is correct about too much alum.  I don't think it should be soaked (I use a wide foam brush to spread it on the paper without working it over too much) and let it air dry.

            I'm going to get my nerve up and  go on a water slide: one of these days.

            Regards, Gail