colour not staying

  • Kerri
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
      Thanks so much Iris Nevins for the advice, I'll try the paper you
      suggested and perhaps experiment with another size, unfortunately,
      here in Jamaica we have to invent materials as some of the regular
      materials are not readily available. Could you perhaps recommend the
      proportion of alum to water? Also, the papers were totally dried
      when I used them. Thanks again!!
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
        Re: [Marbling] colour not staying Greetings!

        This is my first imput into this forom and I am pleased and anxoius as to the result. I am not a prmary paper marbler, so I m extending here.....Methyl cell size seems, to me, to work admirably well the hotter it is!!!  Keep the size and the pigments the same temp.. and check out the charactristics of the type of methyl cell (there are agt least 6 different formulas) and go with the heat.  The hotter it is...the brighter and stronger the colors.  Iris is right on about the alum.  Hunmdity is a bonus as long as the alum doesn't get diluted.

        I had a great fiasco this year, the paper was A O K as long as I marbled it within 5 minutes of alumed it...after that diaster. Good Luck! Gail M.

        From: "Kerri" <islandgirlk13@...>
        Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:25:53 -0000
        To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Marbling] colour not staying

        Thanks so much Iris Nevins for the advice, I'll try the paper you
        suggested and perhaps experiment with another size, unfortunately,
        here in Jamaica we have to invent materials as some of the regular
        materials are not readily available.  Could you perhaps recommend the
        proportion of alum to water?   Also, the papers were totally dried
        when I used them.  Thanks again!!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      • Kerri
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
          Thanks Gail

          I will also take your hints for the marbling. I once did marbling
          where carageenan was the size and the paper was soaked in alum and
          dried overnight. Howver that was in ac conditions. Everything
          worked like a charm. That was ages ago so unfortunately I don't
          remember much, but under these new hot and humid conditions it can be
          rather frustrating. I will try to get methyl cellulose here...about
          what consistency should I make it. Temps here are on average late
          80's to early 90 degrees F
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
            If the papers were totally dried....were they line dried, or were they
            stacked damp and allowed to dry over several days that way? If so, I find
            the alum doesn't work well anymore unless line dried, where air flows all
            around them. Maybe that's the problem. Try them damper or line dried and
            see if either of these methods help. I generally use 1 tbs. alum to a pint
            of water. It is aluminum sulphate or aluminum potassium sulphate. They work
            best for marbling.

            I.N.
          • Kerri
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2001
              Yes the papers were totally lined dried and were used the same day
              but it's a good thing you mentioned the quantity of alum. I would
              never have thought that too much may cause a problem as well. I will
              try all the suggestions I have received and post the results. Thanks
              again for all the help.
            • Gail MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
                Re: [Marbling] Re: colour not staying Good Morning Kerri,

                Did you know that amusement park water slide rides are the greatest consumers of methyl cell? Whatever thickness whoever you buy it from tells you to mix up...  it is no problem to add more water to thin it out at any later time.

                Iris is correct about too much alum.  I don't think it should be soaked (I use a wide foam brush to spread it on the paper without working it over too much) and let it air dry.

                I'm going to get my nerve up and  go on a water slide: one of these days.

                Regards, Gail