Colour not Staying

  • Kerri
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2001
      I tried marbling for the first time and achieved good results in the
      size with the paint (goauche with oxgall on starch) , when it came to
      the colour sticking to the paper
      however, it didn't. It washed off almost immediately. I used
      appoximately 2 oz. alum in one pint tap water and the papers soaked
      were regular catridge. Anyone have a clue to what the problem might
      be? Any help is appreciated.
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2001
        Often the paper is the problem. Sounds like plenty of alum. Or maybe the
        papers were too wet when you marbled them. Don't know what cartridge paper
        is. Try some Strathmore charcoal paper or Canson from an art store and see
        if they work. Papers should be damp to dry....no shiny wet areas should
        show. Also starch is not the best size, perhaps the residue prevents color
        from sticking.

        IrisNevins

      • sixshort@yahoo.com.au
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
          Kerri - If your cartridge paper is the same as the paper I often buy
          it is shiny on one side - I always marble on the dull side as the
          paints don't adhere as well on the slick shiny surface. Joan --- In
          Marbling@y..., "Kerri" <islandgirlk13@y...> wrote:
          > I tried marbling for the first time and achieved good results in
          the
          > size with the paint (goauche with oxgall on starch) , when it came
          > the colour sticking to the paper
          > however, it didn't. It washed off almost immediately. I used
          > appoximately 2 oz. alum in one pint tap water and the papers
          soaked
          > were regular catridge. Anyone have a clue to what the problem
          might
          > be? Any help is appreciated.
        • Kerri
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2001
            Thanks for that info...unfortunately I don't think that is the
            paper...this paper is dull on both sides...