Re: irregular skin on 1st color & source for non rusting pins

  • sglenn@ctesc.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
      Hi,
      I marble on fabric using Golden Acrylics & methylcel. I recently
      experienced the same problem with the first color dropped that you
      are talking about (I think). I don't interpret this as a drying
      problem; rather, I believe that it is more a "compatibility" problem.
      The paint that is cracking along the outside edges of its rings
      before it is combed (the first one laid down)is a lot thicker than
      what it was laid onto (the initial clear one). I solved the problem
      by thinning my paints down more, just like Iris suggested. I think
      that all of the paints were too thick, but the cracking shows up only
      on the first & sometimes the second color laid down because they are
      compacted more than the paints that are laid down later and so the
      pigment is really stacked up on itself & loses its viscosity. Does
      this make sense?

      My favorite pins for comb making are "flower" pins or "daisy" pins
      found in the quilting department in the fabric department in Walmart.
      They are really long, they haven't rusted yet (been using this comb
      for 6 months), and they have a flat yellow plastic daisy shape on the
      end instead of a regular pin head that is perfect for hot gluing onto
      the board of your choice. You have to glue them on one pin at a time,
      but I think that it's worth it because they don't seem to rust. The
      comb is much easier to keep clean.

      Susa Glenn