sparing the size, saving the cargeenan

  • Nadine Schaeffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2001
      Hi Nice People

      I was just wanted to see if any of you had any tips on how to strech your
      size longer and keep it clean between dippings?

      I just built a really big tray for fabric, and I am loathe to make so much
      size just to dispose of it after a few uses. I use carageenan. How many uses
      do you people usually get out of one size bath? Any tips on how to clean it
      really well? After 8-10 dips, I seem to get too much alum into the
      carageenan, and my colors start to break apart and get washed out.

      many thanks - Nadine
    • Enid Adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
        Hi Nadine,
        -To make the most of your bath while it is fresh, have
        plenty of fabric ready to marble before you make the
        size. Store the fabric away from light and air in a
        drawer, closet or garment bag, until you are ready to
        print.
        -Your colors may be breaking apart because of the time
        it takes to lay colors down on a much bigger surface.

        -Be sure not to let the size from a print drip back
        into the tray, as this can speed up alum
        contamination. Cover your tray while not in use.

        -Don't let your fabric sit on the size too long. This
        allows alum to contaminate the bath. If the colors
        are not penetrating almost immediately, you may need
        to prewash your fabrics more thoroughly before the
        alum soak (hot water and soda ash for cotton,
        synthrapol or blue Dawn for silk)

        -Newsprint strips and a skimboard (try a wooden
        yardstick) will help keep the bath clean.

        Hope this helps!
        Enid Adams

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1