New Site--at Delphi

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2001
      To let people know, I have just opened a site at Delphi. There is room
      for a list such as this to grow and expand in many directions. Some here may
      actually find the interface more to their liking. Anyway, it's up and
      running, ready for posts!
      Jill

      www.delphi.com/marbling
    • James M Mahoney
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2001
        Jill -

        This is my first "venture" into participation in the marbling group. I
        don't know if I have reached only your website, Jill, or the group site.

        I just had a call from one of my students from a workshop I taught a
        couple of months ago. She has made a solution of methylcel (she ordered
        from Earth Guild) and is having problems with her colors sinking. Her
        water is from their well (they live on a lake) and they also have a
        chemical water softening system. I have gone over all the steps of the
        preparation of both her bath and her colors - she is using methylcel and
        Golden Fluid colors and is preparing everything properly. The colors are
        all sinking with the exception of her red. The temperature of bath and
        colors is the same, and she has used the same water for both making the
        bath and thinning the colors. Only when she has thinned her colors til
        they are only "a cloud" do they float, and then they have no substance,
        sometimes kinda forming "strings," she says. Has anyone else had this
        problem? The only suggestion I came up with was to try distilled water
        rather than her well water (for both bath and colors). Any other
        suggestion? I have had no one else with this problem, but then no other
        marblers live near her.

        I appreciate the assistance.

        Monita Mahoney, Greer, SC
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2001
          I have heard of water softeners causing many woes, primarily making colors
          pale and fuzzy. But it sounds more like a paint problem than anything else.
          I know a lot of people like Goldens, and maybe the paints like carrageenan
          better. Also, if the colors are sinking it could also be that the size is
          too thick to allow spreading. It ought to be the consistence of cream, I
          would think with methyl-cel as well as carrageenan, though I only use the
          latter.

          there are also different types of methyl-cel, so best to find out what
          others are using exactly, what grade, lot# what company it's from etc.

          irisnevins
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001

            Dear Monita,

            Your student may also want to try adding some fabric medium to the paints (GAC 900) to help them float.  I start equal parts of paint, water and GAC  900.  If that doesn't work she will definitely need to change the water source.  She may also want to use a little Golden Flow Release, the surfactant.  The only time I tried Golden on carragheenan it did not work as well as mc.

            Hope that you're doing well.

            Best, Laura, Indigo Stone