Does anyone do oil based, inks/paints?

  • BTucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2014
    • D or Jer Guffey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2014
        35 years ago I marbled with oil paints, only because that was how I was taught by another marbler. The only advantage of using oils, is that you don't have to alum your papers. The disadvantages far outweigh not having to alum. You have to thin your paints with turpentine or paint thinner (toxic and smelly). The color penetrates the paper, some color visible on the reverse side, but not the complete pattern. Once I started using acrylics I never marbled with oil paints again. With acrylics (and water based colors) you need to alum your paper. The pigments in the paints bind with the alum on the surface of the paper and no color transfers to the reverse side. Also, you can get much cleaner lines and patterns with acrylics and water based colors. Oil paint patterns leave tiny dots and sometimes blurry lines.

        d.guffey

        Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:10 AM
        Subject: [Marbling] Does anyone do oil based, inks/paints?

      • btucker59
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 29, 2014
          I ask because I do t-shirts using a 4 x 4 ft. tray or a 60" dia. kiddie pool and started by using Screen Printing poster inks. I'm moving over to offset litho inks as I know an ink supplier that's intrigued by the process.
          I'd be willing to give acrylics a try if someone could tell me where I could get the inks in gallons, and if they would adhere to 50/50 or cotton t-shirts without pre-treatment.