Human gall preparation?

  • carolmaltby@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2001
      I haven't had the chance to do much marbling over the past few years,
      what with my kids taking up more time and space, and writing recently
      being a high priority than art-making.

      However, I'm going in for testing on some possible gall bladder
      problems. If there is any chance that my gall bladder may have to
      come out, I'd love to be able to use it for marbling if I could (um,
      strictly for personal, non-commercial work, I assure you!)

      Is anyone know to have prepared any gall using their own gall bladder?
      If not, what is the usual procedure for preparing ox gall from
      scratch?

      My apologies to those of you who are squeamish about such things.

      Carol
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2001
        Well......hello, Carol! Sorry your gall bladder is acting up......I know we
        used to joke about this many years ago, wondering if it would work. I don't
        see why not though.......the Scots used fish-gall and I hear it's
        wonderful.......except of course you'd have to use lots of fish....i think
        salmon was best, so they say!

        That odd question sure woke me up! Hope you feel better soon, and good luck
        with the tests....hope you don't have the opportunity to try it out.....
        hope your gall bladder recovers and stays right where it is!

        Best of luck,
        iris Nevins
      • carolmaltby@compuserve.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2001
          Hi, Iris!

          So, what would I do? Ask them to just pop it in a jar of rubbing
          alcohol to take home, or clean it and freeze it, or what? Do I have
          vague memories of reading they would put the ox's gall in a pot and
          bury it?

          Gives new meaning to putting yourself into your art...

          Do you have a contact address (preferably email) for a company that
          actually produces the oxgall we use so I could ask them? Should I
          say I had a favorite ox that dropped dead, and I want to do this for
          sentimental reasons, so they don't think I'm an industrial spy?

          Carol

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2001
            Hi Carol....I have "made" my own gall.....many moons ago.

            First thing I did was spill it in the car (the bile is what I got after
            many strange looks and much questioning at the local slaughterhouse!).
            Which I do not recommend :-)

            Second mistake....I stuck it in a jar and put it on a shelf. I had a quart.
            I thought I had read to wait for the sediment to settle at the bottom, then
            re-jar it. It nearly blew up after two weeks....amazing it didn't but it
            was on its way. Such a loud pop when I opened the jar.

            So next....I just added a cup of denatured alcohol, recapped it and let it
            sit and as sediment collected at bottom, after 1/4 inch or so I would
            strain it off into a new jar through a nylon stocking and strainer.....or a
            coffee filter is actually better....but do it slowly.

            I used this bottle of gall successfully for several years. It was weaker
            than the nicely cleaned up concentrated stuff you can buy, so you need to
            use 2-3X the drops.

            I just wonder if the hospital will allow you to have it....you may want to
            look into it first! Biohazard? Surely not from a noble lady such as
            yourself.......but they may handle all thing that way. You may have to
            fight them for your gallbladder! I can write it up in the GBW column if it
            comes to that!!!!! Guess that would be some great mrbling news.....only
            kidding!

            Iris
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2001
              PS.....the only place I know that sells processed gall is TALAS...but I
              think it may come from France.....at least I heard that years ago.
              i.n.
            • carolmaltby@compuserve.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2001
                I assume that as long as there is no viral problem, that any fears
                they have can be allayed by having them talk with the birthing
                department, which is probably used to having people take placentas
                home by now. I certainly had no problem taking home my two placentas
                for burial in a post-birthing ceremony.

                I tend to look these folks in the eye and behave as if this sort of
                thing is totally normal behavior, what's their problem. So far, so
                good. A little chutzpah goes a long way. I still have memories of
                having my tonsils taken out in 1957 in our old-fashioned country
                doctor's office in Long Valley, and having the tonsils sitting in a
                little glass container on the mantlepiece for a while. Mom's not
                around to ask any more, but what was it, an early performance art
                piece?

                If I have to do this, I'll document it for marbling posterity, up on
                the web if nothing else. Let's hope I only have to take a little pill
                instead!

                I know that when my mom had hers out a couple of years ago, I found
                myself indignant inside that she hadn't thought to save it for me.
                These people, they just don't understand the pull of marbling, do
                they?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 20, 2001
                    Around here they let babies pee on certain wounds for its healing
                    effects.Heard,it is also good for hair growth.
                    We wish our friend get well soon.
                    Would trying human gall not be forcing the limit of already available
                    materials?During the Balkan War many freshly deceased were robbed of their
                    organs for their markets?Where does perversion start?
                    Besides there are a lot Rhesus monkeys unfortunately being tried for
                    scientific reasons,may be to start with the gall bladders of these martyrs
                    could be used since they are the closest to humanbeings.
                    I admire the works of american marblers because some of them are not
                    traditional like we have here.
                    May all of you be blessed with due inspiration.
                    Human gall is not a MARBLEOUS IDEA.
                    Oz at ARTISTANBUL

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 20, 2001
                      --- In Marbling@y..., "oguzhan tugrul" <uygur13@t...> wrote:
                      > Around here they let babies pee on certain wounds for its healing
                      > effects.Heard,it is also good for hair growth.

                      Hi Oguzhan, that is fascinating about the babies. I wonder why
                      certain wounds, and not others?

                      > We wish our friend get well soon.
                      > Would trying human gall not be forcing the limit of already
                      available
                      > materials?

                      Thanks, it's my gall we're talking about, so I think the rest of the
                      marbling community will not run right out to imitate me if I do this.
                      Let us think of it merely as an experiment for the record. I
                      hypothesize that human gall will not be a better surfactant than what
                      we have available already.

                      Carol