NEW to marbling and have questions!

  • birchbaycondo
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
      Hello,

      I’m delighted to have stumbled on this group.  I am a silk painter and am interested in marbling scarves. I’ve never even seen it done other than on video clips.

      Books and DVDs I’ve researched are:

      Mastering Marbling

      :  Simple Techniques for Elegant Paper and Fabric—DVD

      MARBLING: A COMPLETE GUIDE

      by Diane Vogel Maurer

      Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

      Marbling on Fabric by Daniel and Paula Cohen

      The Ultimate Marbling Handbook by Maurer-Mathison

      Richard Eden’s Marbling Handbook

      So my head is full of ideas, but here are my most pressing questions.  I’ll need to spend a fair amount of money to get started, and I want to be certain I purchase the best materials:

      1.  What is your favorite brand of paint/dye for silk scarves?  Right now, based on Dharma Trading’s description, I’m leaning toward Dr. Ph. Martin's Spectralite.  Anyone know anything about it or have a tried and true recommendation?

      2.  Who’s made a tray for long silk scarves,  and how did it work out?

      3.  How do I dispose of the medium after it’s all worn out?  Is it safe for flushing?

      4.  ANY TIPS?

      Thanks so much~ I can hardly wait to get started!

      Kay Dee

    • Gretchen Vansant

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014

          There’s also this one at Cat Tail Run by masters at the art in September  http://www.cattailrun.com/workshops.html .   Also if serious, you should try to take a class from Hikmet Barutcugil in Istanbul,  Turkey, he’s won so  many awards and his silk marbling is amazing, he does really big sizes!  He is a actually credited with reviving the art of marbling in Turkey in the 20th cent., one of its birthplaces.  He taught at my studio in April and it was a total thrill.  Kath Thomas www.bookbarnkatstudios.com Firenze, Italia.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
            I live in Blaine, WA, so I can’t take a long distance class, Kath Thomas.

            Thanks for the trial and error comments...yes, been there; done that!

            Thank you Sharon Gellerman for talking with me this morning!

            I’m either going to order a beginner’s kit to start.

            • Setasilk Starter Set
            • Jacquard Airbrush Color Kit
            • Dr. Ph. Martin’s Spectralite

            Has anyone out there used one of these brands?

            Thanks all,
            Kay Dee

            Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:55 AM

              Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:55 AM

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
                Jack,
                I am so sorry for you and your wife. I know you both miss the beauty of marbling. Your offer of donation is generous and kind.  I teach in a small university art department in the Delta of Mississippi (Delta State University) and we could use those items. I'd be happy to pay shipping if sending them is an option.
                Mollie Rushing

                Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:55 AM

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
                  Hi, KayDee!
                  For whatever reason, AOL would not let me send this message when I first wrote it.  Trying again...

                  Welcome aboard!  Congratulations on ferreting out the best (and about only) books on marbling.  The Ultimate Book by Diane Maurer is by far (IMHO) the best.  I hope you are able to get a copy - as it is out of print, shows up occasionally on Amazon, and in fairly expensive.  Another book to consider is by Laura Sims, and was published by Lark in their Weekend Crafters series, and is still available, I think.

                  To briefly answer your questions - first off review the archives of this list - many, if not most of your questions will be answered there. A lot of us use Golden Fluid acrylics, which is my favorite;  I also use the marbling paints marketed by Pro-Chemical and Dye.  Some paints require the addition of a fabric medium, others don't.  Golden does, Pro-Chem doesn't.  And each paint requires its own "tweaking". Personally, I do not care for Sprectrolite - the colors are very harsh to my eye. You can get a lot of information from the Pro-Chem and Golden websites websites.

                  You make your own tray for doing scarves - mine is of sheet metal and was made by a craftsman friend.  Others use PVC pipes or wood.

                  Your choices for marbling medium are either carageegan (seaweed) or methyl cellulose (also called methocel).  Again, each of us has our own favorites;  I use the methocel.  Both can be diluted and flushed or poured down the drain.

                  You didn't mention where (assuming in the US) you live.  It is far easier to learn marbling by taking a class than to try to teach yourself - way too many variables.  I know of classes taught at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN;  one coming up there the end of Sept into Oct taught by Laura Sims and me.  Other classes are at J.C. Campbell School of Folk Arts in Brasstown, NC, and occasionally elsewhere.  They can sometimes be found in the book arts groups.

                  Good luck!
                  Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                  Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:55 AM

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 14, 2014
                    Kay,

                    It just came to me that there is a great resource for you about three hours away.  You may want to contact Nancy Morains
                    nancy@... who owns Colophon Book Arts in Lacey, Washington.  They used to teach, though I don't see anything about workshops on their website currently.  You might be able to arrange to visit her for some one-on-one instruction.

                    She also might well know if there are other marblers up in your part of the state.

                    Good luck,
                    Ginny Moreland
                    Black Mountain, NC

                    Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:55 AM

[...]

                    Asheville Choral Society  - Nov.14,15  "Home and Heritage"
                    UU Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley - a welcoming congregation
                    ColorTwirl Marbling - marbled silk and paper products, instruction, demonstrations
                  • zozo7bra
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 14, 2014
                      I signed in just to recommend Nancy, great resource and very generous with help. Also, she does have classes and private lessons.