Carrageenan in Kansas City?

  • rowmo1@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001
      Hi all-
      I just joined this group and am looking forward to learning more about marb=
      ling.

      I'm in desperate need of a source for carrageenan in the Kansas City area. =
      I'm in the middle of a big project and would love to find somewhere that sel=
      ls this stuff locally. Being in the middle of the country I'm without sea sh=
      ore to go pick my own seaweed! ;-)

      Anyone know of a store/source for carrageenan or methylcel in driving dista=
      nce of Kansas City? Anybody ever tried using the heavy duty clear wallcoveri=
      ng adhesive that comes in buckets? I'm getting desperate!!

      Thanks much for any help-
      EronÏ
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001

        Dear Erona,

        An alternate methyl cellulose  source is cellulose wallpaper paste.  The line quality isn't as quite as good, but it is available in some hardware and paint stores.  Call around.  Otherwise, Iris Nevins or Diane Maurer-Mathison or Colophon Book Arts can UPS or FedEx carragheenan.  You can find them in the archives or with the search word suminagashi.

        Best of Luck, Laura

        >From: rowmo1@...
        >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Marbling] Carrageenan in Kansas City?
        >Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:22:36 -0000
        >
        >Hi all-
        >I just joined this group and am looking forward to learning more about marb=
        >ling.
        >
        >I'm in desperate need of a source for carrageenan in the Kansas City area. =
        >I'm in the middle of a big project and would love to find somewhere that sel=
        >ls this stuff locally. Being in the middle of the country I'm without sea sh=
        >ore to go pick my own seaweed! ;-)
        >
        >Anyone know of a store/source for carrageenan or methylcel in driving dista=
        >nce of Kansas City? Anybody ever tried using the heavy duty clear wallcoveri=
        >ng adhesive that comes in buckets? I'm getting desperate!!
        >
        >Thanks much for any help-
        >Eron��

      • Martha Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001
          Thanks for the info. I've been looking for cellulose wallpaper paste
          and can't find any that list ingredients. We've found starch-based
          wall sizing in powder form, and wallpaper adhesive in a paste/gel
          form. Neither one lists ingredients.We tried the wallpaper adhesive
          in the gel form, thinned with water. It was white, not clear, and
          seemed to lighten the colors. They did hold the pattern very well. It
          doesn't really smell very good, says it's non-toxic, yet recommends
          that you avoid contact with skin and eyes. So....

          Anyone tried either of these? Are these the same as cellulose
          wallpaper paste? The people at the paint store didn't know.

          I've ordered from the ones you mentioned, but was hoping to find
          something quicker without paying that overnight shipping! Was hoping
          Kansas City was large enough to have a hidden supply somewhere. Oh
          well...
          Thanks for the help and suggestions.
          Eron

          On 9/18/01 at 5:32 PM -0400, on the subject of Re: [Marbling]
          Carrageenan in Kansas City?, Laura Sims's digits tickled the keyboard
          thusly:

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001
            Eron....

            we can send you the carrageenan overnight if you wish, but would have to
            check shipping rates. Cheapest way is probably priority mail USPO, which
            generally takes 2 days, sometimes 3, though they don't guarantee that.

            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com