New to Marbling!

  • Mary Valerie Richter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2014
      Greetings! I appreciate inclusion in this group.

      I am a fiber artist and I primarily work with shibori techniques using MX dyes on cotton and silk fabric. I stumbled upon an exhibit of beautiful marbled fabric by Elin Noble at the Schweinfurth a couple of years ago and have been looking for a workshop in my area ever since. At the end of May I will participate in a week-long marbling workshop at Nancy Crow's Timber Frame Barn in Ohio, led by Elin Noble. Though I have experience using acrylic textile paints on fabric, I basically know very little about marbling -- except for a shave-cream marbling mini-class I took many years ago. I have also made paper in the past. In the mean time, I am reading through the archives to glean information. I'm certain I will have inquiries after I take the workshop.

      Cheers!

      Mary, from Ann Arbor, MI
    • Mary Carol Koester
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2014
        Mary, I would think Hollander's has marbling classes.

        Best, Mary Carol

        --
        Mary Carol Koester
        Member, Southern Highland Craft Guild
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2014
          Sadly, Mary Carol, Hollanders no longer has classes.  That would have been a natural, being in Ann Arbor.  I teach marbling classes, but I am located across the big lake, Michigan, in Northern Door County.  My next marbling class is at The Clearing in Ellison Bay but not until September.
          Nancy

          Sent from my iPad
          Liberty Grove Paper Arts

        • <fibercats@...>
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2014
            Thanks for your responses, Mary Carol and Nancy. Hollander's discontinued classes a few years ago. It was a great workshop venue for paper/book artists, and that part is missed by many. However, Hollander's still has a retail store and sells beautiful papers and gift items. Since my interest is in marbling fabric I think the workshop I am scheduled to take the week of May 26 with Elin Noble will be right up my alley. I also have Joy Fitsell's video and found lots of great information there. I purchased alum from ProChem and will pre-soak some fabric right before I go to the workshop. I found a flat container at a restaurant supply store that is 3" deep and 18" x 26" and that will work well for transporting the fabric in a flat state and then as a marbling box. I'm very excited about my upcoming marbling adventure!

            Cheers!

            Mary
          • Mary Carol Koester