Something is wrong!

  • Michelle Herren
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2014
      I uploaded a photo of what is going wrong. I use liquitex ink for my black, as it spreads really nice with only the addition of distilled water. But when I comb the stuff, this is what I get - big blotches of black! Should I use another product to dilute it, or should I skip it altogether? I have this ink in gold as well, and I don't encounter this problem.

      90% of the paint I use is Utrecht mixed with distilled water and GAC 900.

      Also, in the DVD mastering marbling, Peggy Skycraft mentions using GAC 100 to make her own paints from pigment powders such as pearled powders and pure pigment powders. Do any of you use this product? I picked some up at Aaron Brothers. I tried diluting some paint with it - is it made for this purpose, or not? Is there any other purpose for this besides creating acrylic paints? I have been to every fine art and craft store here in Las Vegas and I still can't find acrylic flow release or photo-flo!

      One last question: what dark colored paper do you use to print on? I just bought some strathmore artagain paper. It absorbs the alum very quickly, which is good, but it tends to curl up pretty bad in the carrageenan. If you could point me to a specific source or brand, that would be great!

      Michelle
    • Ginny Moreland
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2014
        Michelle,

        For colored paper I am addicted to Canson Mi Tientes.  A little pricey and a tad heavier than it needs to be, but it comes in fabulous colors and is easy to work with, I find.  http://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-mi-teintes-drawing-papers/.   Also, I have lived in several towns where you can't even buy Golden Paints, so I order most supplies online.  Dick Blick, Cheap Joe's, Hollingers, and sometimes Talas.  Dharma Trading is also a great source for pre-made scarves and stuff like alum and carageenen.  Can't speak to your other two questions.  Anyone know of an equivalent selection of colored papers for less?

        Ginny
        Black Mountain

        --
        Ginny

        Ginny Moreland
        Black Mountain, NC

        Asheville Threshold Choir - bringing comfort through song near the end of life
        Asheville Choral Society  - March 6 & 7: "Music and the Movies"
        UU Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley - a welcoming congregation
        ColorTwirl Marbling - marbled silk and paper products, instruction, demonstrations
      • Beth Heesacker
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2014
          You will find photo-flo in stores that sell products to photographers. It is used in the photo print making process. May be hard to find due to the use of digital cameras now but many photographers still adhere to the older, and in some ways better and more artistic process.
          Beth
          On 4/23/2014 10:49 AM, Michelle Herren wrote:

[...]

          No virus found in this message.