Fwd: Questions from new marbler

  • Michelle Herren
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2014
      > Hello -
      >
      > Although I am a published artist in other mediums (polymer clay and jewelry), I just started to marble paper. It's frustrating because, even though I live in Las Vegas (a city of more than 2 million people) there are no local shops that I am aware of that stock marbling supplies or instructional devices such as books or DVDs.
      >
      > Right now I am using acrylic paints (Utrecht, recommended to me by Galen) and methocel as my size and alum as my mordant. I just purchased some large sheets of rice paper but have yet to use it.
      >
      > A few questions for all of you seasoned members...
      >
      > Do you need to alum every type of paper? For example, do I need to alum the rice paper I just bought?
      >
      > What are some good websites for pattern instructions? I haven't really been able to find any.
      >
      > What are some good websites for marbling supplies? I know of Galen's website but I'd like to know of others.
      >
      > I'm using acrylic paints with a small homemade broomstick brush, but when the colors spread, they appear so light I can barely see them. Is this normal? Is this because I'm using methocel? I watched a video on YouTube where a woman was using acrylic paints, but her size water was cloudy and you could see all the paint really clearly.
      >
      > Can someone point me to a place to buy rakes and combs, or tell me how (and what materials) to make them on my own?
      >
      > What kind of paper do you do your marbeling on for the brightest and most vibrant results? Right now I'm using canson mixed media paper (which curls up like the dickens!) and I just bought some rice paper from dick blick. The texopaper from Galen sounds cool, but I was wondering if there were papers out there that produced similar results.
      >
      > What is the proper ratio of water to acrylic paint? I'm using Utrecht paint.
      >
      > Thanks for answering my millions of questions! I'm sure I'll have more!
      >
      > Michelle
    • bingulsevimli
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2014
        Hi, Herren

        You could visit my web site for: www.ebruartusa.us
        also Let you see my artwork in flickr
      • Nancy Akerly
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2014
          Michelle, quite honestly I have used many different kinds of paper, etc and I have found Galen's Textoprint to be one of the best to work with, his paints to be trouble free, his broom straw reasonably priced and perfect for brushes.  His instruction book is one of the best, and regarding methyl cel, I just don't seem to get the detail and color quality that I do with carrageenan.  And after looking at many sources, Galen's price is the best I have found for carrageenan.  I teach many marbling classes for several years and have experimented like mad.  There are some other fun papers to try, especially colored papers, but I have been unhappy with Canson as it curls too much.  Rice paper looks wonderful when you are finished but is fragile and difficult to place on the size with precision.  I always use alum, always.  Because it acts as a mordant, without it the color just flows right off again when you rinse off the size.

          Galen also has good prices for rakes and combs.  If you want to make your own there is some very useful information on Pat Thomas' site, Seen my Marbles?, www.seenmymarbles.com
          She has a wealth of experience and knowledge.  Also take a look at www.nancylangford.com
          Dharma Trading company sells some supplies on lines, as does Volcano Arts, which also sells a dandy little design booklet.  Talas sells supplies as well, also Hollanders.

          Be sure to check out Iris Nevin's site.  She is a wonderfully experienced Marbler who sells lots of different supplies at a reasonable price and is lovely to work with.  Her site is www.marblingpaper.com

          Good luck and have fun!
          Nancy Akerly

          Sent from my iPad
          Liberty Grove Paper Arts

          On Apr 4, 2014, at 4:04 PM, Michelle Herren <herrenfam@...> wrote:

          > Hello -
          >
          > Although I am a published artist in other mediums (polymer clay and jewelry), I just started to marble paper. It's frustrating because, even though I live in Las Vegas (a city of more than 2 million people) there are no local shops that I am aware of that stock marbling supplies or instructional devices such as books or DVDs.
          >
          > Right now I am using acrylic paints (Utrecht, recommended to me by Galen) and methocel as my size and alum as my mordant. I just purchased some large sheets of rice paper but have yet to use it.
          >
          > A few questions for all of you seasoned members...
          >
          > Do you need to alum every type of paper? For example, do I need to alum the rice paper I just bought?
          >
          > What are some good websites for pattern instructions? I haven't really been able to find any.
          >
          > What are some good websites for marbling supplies? I know of Galen's website but I'd like to know of others.
          >
          > I'm using acrylic paints with a small homemade broomstick brush, but when the colors spread, they appear so light I can barely see them. Is this normal? Is this because I'm using methocel? I watched a video on YouTube where a woman was using acrylic paints, but her size water was cloudy and you could see all the paint really clearly.
          >
          > Can someone point me to a place to buy rakes and combs, or tell me how (and what materials) to make them on my own?
          >
          > What kind of paper do you do your marbeling on for the brightest and most vibrant results? Right now I'm using canson mixed media paper (which curls up like the dickens!) and I just bought some rice paper from dick blick. The texopaper from Galen sounds cool, but I was wondering if there were papers out there that produced similar results.
          >
          > What is the proper ratio of water to acrylic paint? I'm using Utrecht paint.
          >
          > Thanks for answering my millions of questions! I'm sure I'll have more!
          >
          > Michelle

        • George Reynolds
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2014
            Michele

            I second the comment that carrageenan is better than methocel - but there are many people who use methocel so there you go. You just encountered the first rule of marbling which is that there are no preferred methods. Accept with open arms the need to experiment and play and you will find your preferred method.

            There is a strong set of traditions however and since we live in the Age of Google just search for marbling on YouTube, Google and Amazon and you will find a wealth of ideas.  One book that is great for traditional designs is "Marbled Designs" by Patty and Mimi Schleicher.

            I also suggest making your own tools which gives you complete freedom of size. If you look here you will see my setup which I made from plywood and epoxy:

            That comb you see in one of the pictures you can get here:

            And Regina and Dan StJohn teach wonderful classes if you ever get the chance.

            Finally: alum everything (except leather since alum is used in tanning)
            George
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2014
              Hello Bingul, and anyone from Turkey....
              I have a bookbinder friend visitng Istanbul in the middle of the month who would love to meet some marblers there. I have contacted Hikmet but I believe he will be it Florence Italy at the time they are there. Are there any shops or marblinb businesses he and his wife could visit while there. I think they prefer a larger place as I think there will be only one or two days or so set aside for this.

              You can contact me at irisnevins@... if you have any names. Emails, addresses and phone numbers would be what they are looking for. They would email the places ahead to make arrangments,

              thank you
              Iris Nevins

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2014
                While I only sell traditional watercolors for marbling, I do carry everything else you may need. www.marblingpaper.com

                The paper I use and recommend for all types marbling is TALAS Unbuffered Bond. www.talasonline.com Ask for what I and other marblers get. If they don't know ask for Jake, Marge or Aaron. They will help you. The paper is pretty foolproff, but you must alum.

                You can often, for smaller sheets, I think the come up to 11 X 17 get a high quality inkjet paper. Not Laser, only inkjet. Many have a coating on one side (You need to test one to see if they are up or down, treated side, in the package and notate that. You need to pick the up quickly, that work pretty well without Alum, but they can leave a residue in the tank that may require extra cleaning of the bath if you let them sit too long. The colors will instantly transfer.

                Hope this helps
                Iris NEvins
                www.marblingpaper.com

                On 04/04/14, Michelle Herren<herrenfam@...> wrote:

                > Hello -
                >
                > Although I am a published artist in other mediums (polymer clay and jewelry), I just started to marble paper. It's frustrating because, even though I live in Las Vegas (a city of more than 2 million people) there are no local shops that I am aware of that stock marbling supplies or instructional devices such as books or DVDs.
                >
                > Right now I am using acrylic paints (Utrecht, recommended to me by Galen) and methocel as my size and alum as my mordant. I just purchased some large sheets of rice paper but have yet to use it.
                >
                > A few questions for all of you seasoned members...
                >
                > Do you need to alum every type of paper? For example, do I need to alum the rice paper I just bought?
                >
                > What are some good websites for pattern instructions? I haven't really been able to find any.
                >
                > What are some good websites for marbling supplies? I know of Galen's website but I'd like to know of others.
                >
                > I'm using acrylic paints with a small homemade broomstick brush, but when the colors spread, they appear so light I can barely see them. Is this normal? Is this because I'm using methocel? I watched a video on YouTube where a woman was using acrylic paints, but her size water was cloudy and you could see all the paint really clearly.
                >
                > Can someone point me to a place to buy rakes and combs, or tell me how (and what materials) to make them on my own?
                >
                > What kind of paper do you do your marbeling on for the brightest and most vibrant results? Right now I'm using canson mixed media paper (which curls up like the dickens!) and I just bought some rice paper from dick blick. The texopaper from Galen sounds cool, but I was wondering if there were papers out there that produced similar results.
                >
                > What is the proper ratio of water to acrylic paint? I'm using Utrecht paint.
                >
                > Thanks for answering my millions of questions! I'm sure I'll have more!
                >
                > Michelle

                ------------------------------------

                Yahoo Groups Links
              • Larissa Don
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2014
                  I am very grateful and intrigued by the open source informational that
                  is passed on here ;)
                  I at first imported carrageenan from the Philippine Islands .. The
                  cost was astronomical.. but besides that I found that it was a
                  unstable solution. Well for our EXTREME weather patterns anyway. They
                  do not name South Africa, Kwa Zulu Natal as the place with 4 seasons
                  in one day .. for nothing. Soooooo It would get VERY hot at midday.
                  and I would loose viscosity. It would be 1 am in the morning and it
                  would just go COLD.... The tray goes hot and cold all the time.....
                  well. were I live anyway.
                  No worries I managed to find a local gel powder that holds viscosity
                  in extreme weather as long as you hold the room temp relatively
                  stable. The awesome thing about MY gels are that they remain stable
                  for up to 6weeks with good ph water quality.. that is contaminated in
                  the trays. This is a real bonus when you are working in big scale and
                  you are having to mix up 50 litres at a time. You can print for much
                  longer... al you do is top up the tray ;)
                  I have tried to buy from Galen. He will not send supplies to SA ;(
                  I am most interested in his paper !!
                  Could I perhaps ask if one of you would be able to get it for me ..
                  from him and then to send it to me? Would it be much trouble.
                  Pat suggested his papers to me as well....She is a whizz on paper.
                  She sent me a sample piece in the mail and the quality of paper is
                  magnificent.. yields super fine detail with slight gloss.

                  Much Love
                  Larissa