Diameter of rake and comb teeth

  • briannqueen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2013

         I have a couple of questions regarding combs and rakes. What diameter is common for the teeth themselves of combs and rakes? Also what about the diameter of the pins or rods that are used to transfer the ink to the size? In the Cockerell video they seem to be about 1/8” in diameter.

         Finally what material is best? I could use brass or stainless steel teeth, stainless being my preference.

      Brian

    • George Reynolds
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2013
        Brian
        I would do a search for Marbling Supplies and you will very quickly find what is typical for rakes. I made my own with stainless steel nails which are 1", 2" and 3" in spacing of the nails. They work great. Combs are a different matter - they seem to be constructed out of a single piece of metal with "slots" between the fingers of the comb of varying widths. You can get wonderful combs from Dan StJohn at Chena River Marblers which are modified Reeds used in a loom. You can specify the width you want.

        George
      • anthonianthonianthoni
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 24, 2013

          It depends:

            For most kinds of nonpareils, 1/2 cm tends to be sufficient. A wider comb of 1 cm should also be useful. You can make combs with smaller spacing, but the two combs mentioned would prove sufficient.

          You can also make combs with needles as the teeth. It Is a very elaborate process, but the combs made thus LAST. http://marblingexplained.blogspot.sg/2012/06/marbling-combs-woolnoughs-method.html

        • briannqueen
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2013

            George, I was referring more to the diameter of the teeth or nails themselves, but it seems that’s not critical if you’re just using nails, or drapery hooks as I've seen described in books.

            It seems to me that the diameter is more important when it comes to the transferring colour to the size. The pins or rods in the Cockerell video seemed to be about 1/8” in diameter.

            Brian

          • George Reynolds
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2013
              Brian
              1/8" is probably an ok place to start for the rakes. The teeth of the comb I use are rectangular. And you are right the diameter of the "dropper" can have a big effect on the pattern of the paint as it spreads on the size. In fact varying the size of the dropper can create some lovely effects. I do everything from small pins to just letting it drop out of a bottle with a "catsup" dispenser top. It all depends on what you want to do. And don't forget the "splash" technique obtained by tying together a bunch of broom straws, dipping it in the paint and splattering it around. My suggestion would be not to get to hung up on the video you keep referring to. Typing in "marbling" in YouTube will give you lots of ideas. Also do a search for "Ebru" for an even more interesting bunch of videos.

              George