[Marbling] H2O

  • IrisNevins
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2001
      Never tried the salt.....but the Clorox...ugh....made the paints fuzzy if I
      used enough to preserve size, if I cut it down to a tsp. per gallon it did
      nothing.

      Talas has a size preservative, or at least used to, but it is made with
      formaldehyde....it nearly keeled me over just opening the bottle. Awful.

      I think the best bet is to mix up only what you will use for the day and
      keep it cool. I also make it with a little extra size powder in summer,
      which compensates for the loss of viscosity in hot weather. That works like
      a charm.

      I use excruciating hard, lime filled tap water for my size and it is
      great.....no complaints. I use distilled water for the paints I
      manufacture, because if there is ever a problem we can always rule out the
      water. I do notice when I teach in NYC though, with its soft water, I need
      less carrageenan powder to get the same viscosity.

      I may try Jake's filter for the fun of it!