H2O

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2001
      I have had very similar experiences to what Nelle mentioned. Being in South
      Carolina, it is challenging to keep the size cooler. Iris had suggested
      using bottles of ice water to keep the size chilled, and that seems to help
      me. I use a larger 2-3 liter soda bottle filled with ice directly in the 5
      gallon bucket.

      I also purchased a water distiller, and made all my size with it. It took
      forever, heated up my house, and was more work than I anticipated. I still
      use the distilled water, but only for adding to the paint ( I make my own
      from pigments), not for size.

      I recently purchased a small water deionization unit, which is used by
      Aquarium owners. It works GREAT. It processes water much more quickly than
      a distiller, and while it isn't sterile like distilled water, it doesn't
      contain any contaminants (biological or mineral- it removes water hardness.
      The model I bought is called a "Tap Water Filter" and is made by Aquarium
      Pharmaceuticals. They don't sell directly, but you can find them at your
      local pet shop that features aquarium supplies, or several sources on the
      web. The replacement filters are pretty cheap- about $15, but it will
      filter a lot of water before it needs changing, DEPENDING on what exactly
      your contaminants are to begin with. The City of Columbia has a low Ph, but
      I think the pipes in my house have biological contaminants galore (mold
      grows everywhere here, and is in the air).

      Reverse Osmosis water which you can buy at some grocery stores isn't
      reliable. The bladder which it uses to filter water can easily become
      defective.

      Finally, I don't think adding bleach to the size is good for your viscosity.
      Margo Snape in an issue of Ink & Gall a number of years ago mentioned that
      she started adding a pinch of salt to her size due top rapid decomposition
      in the hot Australia sun. The article is entitled "Marbling with a Pinch of
      Salt" . i don't have the article, or the bibliographic info. Can someone
      else supply that?

      It's been a while since I tried that, and I don't remember the results. Has
      anyone else on the list tried it?

      Jake Benson

      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      Hand Marbled Papers
      1319 B Summerville Ave.
      Columbia S.C. 29201
      Phone: 803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...
      http://www.iprofsys.com/bensonsmarbles.htm
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2001
        Never tried the salt.....but the Clorox...ugh....made the paints fuzzy if I
        used enough to preserve size, if I cut it down to a tsp. per gallon it did
        nothing.

        Talas has a size preservative, or at least used to, but it is made with
        formaldehyde....it nearly keeled me over just opening the bottle. Awful.

        I think the best bet is to mix up only what you will use for the day and
        keep it cool. I also make it with a little extra size powder in summer,
        which compensates for the loss of viscosity in hot weather. That works like
        a charm.

        I use excruciating hard, lime filled tap water for my size and it is
        great.....no complaints. I use distilled water for the paints I
        manufacture, because if there is ever a problem we can always rule out the
        water. I do notice when I teach in NYC though, with its soft water, I need
        less carrageenan powder to get the same viscosity.

        I may try Jake's filter for the fun of it!