  • Carol Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2001
      Dear All,

      I live in western Minnesota and have a question concerning longevity of
      carragheanan. Recently I made up a batch of size with regular tap
      water. It had lost almost all of it viscosity the next day so I had
      about 1 day to marble on it. The next time I marbled I used distilled
      water from the grocery store. It lasted 2 more days. One of the first
      signs that my size its on its last days is that when I go to skim the
      tank it will leave behind a residue that looks like stretch marks.

      Normally I would just accept the fact that when it comes to
      carragheanan, life is short, but then I know of another marbler in St.
      Paul who is able to marble for days or weeks with the same batch.

      Heres what the Public Service saids about how are water is treated:
      "The water treatment used is a lime water-softening process, a hightly
      efficient filtration system and the use of ozone for primary
      disinfection and ordor/taste removal. The new water plant has
      significantly reduced the amount of chlorinated by-products generated".

      I had the water treatment run a quickie test for me that involved 2
      shallow pans of water, 2 with tap water and 2 with distilled water in
      it. On each set they covered one pan and left one pan uncovered. They
      began the test of Friday and returned on Monday to find that all four
      pans had formed a skim on the surface. And thats all the further they
      investigated.

      Should I be adding bleach? Storing my carragheanan so there is less
      surface area?

      Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

      Carol Scott
      solinger@...