Marbling paper question

  • Cécile Evers
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2013
      Dear all,

      As a couple-month old marbler, I've been looking around on the net and in stores for larger format marbling paper. A friend has recommended 28g sheets of mulberry paper by "Black Ink" but I've had no success in finding them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or perhaps suggest other larger format paper brands?

      Might anyone suggest, too, where to buy Turkish-style rose branch brushes in the U.S.?

      Many thanks in advance,
      Cécile
    • Carole Floate
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2013
        Go to Google and type in Black Ink Paper and you will get to a website that has info for you.  Try the same thing for your brushes.

        Carole A. Floate
        CF Turnings
        200 W. Witchwood Lane
        Lake Bluff, IL 60044
        P 847-295-2631
        F 847-295-2675

        On Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:27 PM, Cécile Evers <cecile.evers@...> wrote:

        Dear all,

        As a couple-month old marbler, I've been looking around on the net and in stores for larger format marbling paper. A friend has recommended 28g sheets of mulberry paper by "Black Ink" but I've had no success in finding them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or perhaps suggest other larger format paper brands?

        Might anyone suggest, too, where to buy Turkish-style rose branch brushes in the U.S.?

        Many thanks in advance,
        Cécile

      • Karen Ruane
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2013
          I've had great success with the Japanese Masa paper from Blick. It has a lovely fabric quality. I think the sheets are about 21x31.
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17, 2013
            TALAS Unbuffered Bond....they will cut any size. www.talasonline.com
            irisnevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            On 11/17/13, Karen Ruane<Karen.ruane@...> wrote:

            I've had great success with the Japanese Masa paper from Blick. It has a lovely fabric quality. I think the sheets are about 21x31.

            ------------------------------------

            Yahoo Groups Links
          • Jane Steinberg
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 17, 2013
              Might not be the paper you want, but copy centers and places that print architectural plans have very large format…probably comes on huge rolls, but you never know.

              --
              Jane Steinberg

            • jemiljan
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2013

                To my knowledge, no one sells branch brushes in the US. There are now some Turkish suppliers online like ayanebru.com sell the horsehair ('at kılı' in Turkish). You have to get your own branches, typically acquired when the bushes are pruned in the early spring.

                Also note that while the idea that using rose branches for brush handles is commonly considered to be 'traditional' by artists in Turkey today, this practice is not in any way mentioned in either of the two Ottoman Turkish technical accounts from the 17th and 18th centuries. Much of what constitutes 'tradition' in Turkey today really dates to the late 19th and 20th century. This is especially true of the contemporary Turkish floral designs.

                While there are earlier more rudimentary styles, the
                predominant contemporary floral modes commonly seen today, such as the ubiquitous tulip, were first developed by master Necmeddin Okyay at some point in the 1920's. He was also apparently an avid rose gardener, who reputedly cultivated some 200 different varieties. There are several photographs of him holding one of his impressively large (prize-winning?) roses, one of which was reproduced on the front cover of a commemorative leaflet produced for his funeral after he died in 1976.

                http://www.kubbealti.org.tr/havuz/necmeddin_okyay.jpg
                http://www.kalemguzeli.org/images/upload/necmeddinokyay.jpg

                For this reason, I strongly suspect that it was he who introduced this 'tradition' of using rose branches for brush handles for marbling. By all accounts, he was a very clever and inventive person, and w
                hile I can't really say for certain one way or another, he may have simply thought up a practical use for what must have been a considerable number of branches after pruning his garden in the spring.

                I've also heard some say that the use of rose branches as brush handles resists mold growth, but that's not really true. Avid rose gardeners will tell you that live roses are in no way immune to mold, so why should the dried branches be? The use of rose branches for brushes may seem to lend a certain aura or mystique to the Turkish approach to marbling, there is neither evidence it has some sort of long historical precedent, nor does it really deter mold. That said, the branches are light and flexible, and have a "springiness" about them than you don't have if you use, say, a wooden dowel rod as a handle.

                Best of luck,

                Jake Benson

                ---In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, <cecile.evers@...> wrote:

                Dear all,

                As a couple-month old marbler, I've been looking around on the net and in stores for larger format marbling paper. A friend has recommended 28g sheets of mulberry paper by "Black Ink" but I've had no success in finding them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or perhaps suggest other larger format paper brands?

                Might anyone suggest, too, where to buy Turkish-style rose branch brushes in the U.S.?

                Many thanks in advance,
                Cécile
              • kbeaumc
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2014
                  I have also had some great success with masa paper.  I've been doing some comparison testing of both alumed and non-alumed masa and, honestly, my (admittedly untrained) eye can't see a difference.  My tendency is to alum just to be on the safe side, but would love to be able to skip that step if at all possible.  Does anyone have some experience and advice on this?  I'm fairly new to marbling, so I don't have a very deep well to draw from.  Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge while I've lurked these past few months.  You've been incredibly helpful, and it's time you knew that!
                • George Reynolds
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 28, 2014
                    Just a wild guess here but it's possible that Alum is used in the manufacture of Masa paper. Anybody know? BTW Alum is used in tanning leather which is why you don't need to Alum leather and it takes marbling beautifully.
                    George
                  • kbeaumc
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 28, 2014
                      George, I just Googled whether alum is used in masa paper,  and got all I wanted to know about how to make corn tortillas, but so far nothing on topic.  Must rephrase the question.  If I find out, I will post.  Thanks for the suggestion.
                      ~Karen