Re: marbling on silk advice please

  • europamedical
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
      I was in Ankara on an Ebru course earlier this year and we also used Pebeo as well.  I'm located in London and they are available by mail order as well . The cheapest I've been able to find are at  http://www.pullingers.com/P~PEBEO_MARBLING~Pebeo-Marbling-Paint

      Their service is very prompt.

      Phyllis

    • juderiley2003
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
        Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions.. I'll be working through them on my next marbling session.

        Interestingly, I was in Turkey earlier this year and also saw Pebeo marbling colours used. On my return I ordered some from Pullingers and was very disappointed with the results on a carrageen bath - very jagged stones which broke up horribly when raked. My next plan is to try them with Pebeo marbling ground.

        Thanks again and happy marbling!

        Jude

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, juderiley2003@... wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I have been marbling for many years on paper and on silk. I have one problem that I am looking for help with. When marbling on silk it bothers me that the design is very much a one sided print. When making fine silk scarves I would like the design to show on both sides. I am based in Wales, U.K. and use carrageen sea weed for my bath. I have tried many different types of silk paint over the years, some are better than others but all give the 'one sided print'. I also find that marbling affects the handle and lustre of the silk, this problem is worse when using acrylics such as Golden fluid which give a lovely bright image but make the silk dull and stiff. Would methyl cellulose be the answer? I am not sure about availability in the U.K.
        >
        > If using ready rolled scarves the hem does not marble well and leaves an ugly white border on the scarf. I have tried running my finger around the edge of the scarf as it lies on the bath, this is only partly successful.
        >
        > Finally, I worry about the durability of the design. I fix by ironing or sometimes in the oven. When I read of people washing their silk in a machine, I just wonder how they don't just wash the marbling right off. I also find that machine washing silk, before or after marbling leaves permanent creases.
        >
        > I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jude

      • Eisemann
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2013

          Pullinger’s does not ship to the U.S.

          Elinor Eisemann

        • hhumler
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25, 2013

            i posted several years ago that i marble with the rolled edge against the paint.  was roundly questioned on "WHY would i marble on the wrong side of the scarf" but there is no right or wrong side until the color is applies.  since the roll takes up the color, the reverse side of the rolled edge simply looks like the rest of the now wrong side of the scarf.  admittedly there is a little less density of color, but after about 15 years of marbling, i know that this is a better solution than designating one side of a white scarf the right side before it is marbled.

            ---In marbling@yahoogroups.com, <geisemann@...> wrote:

            Pullinger’s does not ship to the U.S.

            Elinor Eisemann

          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
              Dear Jude,

              I must admit that I generally prefer a little heavier weight silk with good drape so the image only prints on one side.  You may want to consider learning to dye your own backgrounds, working on jacquard silks and/or marbling front and back.  If you do the later be sure to include on your care tag to use an ironing cloth to protect the printed silk from the iron face.

              As for acrylic paints, yes, they coat the surface therefore masking the luster.  You may want to try opening "windows" in your design with a surfactant so that you get a contrast between the luster of the silk and the mat finish.  I do use Golden with their fabric medium (helps with hand of silk and wash fastness), but I do not cover the entire surface with paint either.  I personally like methyl cellulose because it lasts longer, greatly reduces pin holing from dust (I used to have a studio next to a mica company) and I can get the line quality I need for my work.  I use a methocel by Dow Chemical.

              I do fix my images by ironing with medium heat, though curing with time also works.  I do not use a washing machine or dryer.  For my images the motion "scares" the image with little lines anywhere there is a fold.  After heat setting I soak the methyl cellulose out in warm water with a little soap.  Then soak to rinse before hanging them up.

              Also, keep in mind that when you iron or put something in the oven that intense heat and alum create sulfuric acid so keep heat to a minimum and if ironing keep that iron moving.

              Hope some of this was helpful.

              Best,
              Laura

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2013
                Laura thanks so much for your suggestion about pre dyeing silk before marbling. I have been buying pre dyed silk at Exotic Silks but they have become so slow as to be useless. So time to learn how to dye myself. At this point I simply want a uniform color that works well with marbling. Can you suggest at technique/you tube video/whatever that you would recommend as the best approach for dyeing.
                Thanks!
                George