troubleshooting silk marbling on larger scale

  • Deluwiel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
      Using Golden Acrylics, Jacquard airbrush and textile colors on Methocel from Dharma Trading. I've had very good results with my scarf tank (18" x 72") and various smaller pans but I've recently begun working with a tank 48" x 63" for fabric pre-dyed various colors to use for garment patterns and needless to say, it's a whole 'nother ballgame! My problem is that the colors are coming out very faint - Paints are applied with eyedroppers or squirt bottles and have controlled spread, they don't disperse too much and look saturated enough floating on the bath, but after combing or swirling the patterns are very washed out and faint on the silk. I THINK I'm putting down enough paint to cover the surface pretty thoroughly, but maybe I just need more paint? But then don't I run the risk of subsequent colors not floating properly? I'm just gently swish-rinsing in cool water after taking it out of the marbling bath and I'm not seeing any color washing off so it doesn't appear to be an alum problem. Anyone using a larger-scale tank like this have any tips for me? Thanks!

      P.S. - Does anyone know of a class or a marbler in the greater metro Denver area?
    • George Reynolds
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2013
        Have you done a size-by-side test? In other words two tanks one small one large, same type of silk, same solutions etc. only difference is the size of the tank? The only thing would be to have the small tank be still large enough so the paint can spread out completely. It's possible that in the large tank the colors are not "connected" so when you take the spread out even more and become fainter. Anyway the test would tell you a lot.
        George
      • Laura
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2013
          I work in a tank/tray that is 3 ft. x 8 ft. using methyl cellulose and Golden Fluid Acrylics. The surface tension is different in a larger tank. You may find it helpful to lay your paint in lines for the first pass. The next 3-4 passes bull's eye the ground color. It can help you get a good read on how much paint you need to get the desired amount of color. You can also put your droplets closer together as you lay paint. You may want to try manipulating the color less... wish I could be there to see what is going on.

          Next May I will be teaching 2 weekend classes in Denver through the Smokey Mountain Handweavers' Guild. It would be great to have you in the class and I would also enjoy seeing your set up if possible.

          Best,
          Laura Sims
          www.indigostonestudio.com

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Deluwiel" <deluwiel1209@...> wrote:

          > Using Golden Acrylics, Jacquard airbrush and textile colors on Methocel from Dharma Trading. I've had very good results with my scarf tank (18" x 72") and various smaller pans but I've recently begun working with a tank 48" x 63" for fabric pre-dyed various colors to use for garment patterns and needless to say, it's a whole 'nother ballgame! My problem is that the colors are coming out very faint - Paints are applied with eyedroppers or squirt bottles and have controlled spread, they don't disperse too much and look saturated enough floating on the bath, but after combing or swirling the patterns are very washed out and faint on the silk. I THINK I'm putting down enough paint to cover the surface pretty thoroughly, but maybe I just need more paint? But then don't I run the risk of subsequent colors not floating properly? I'm just gently swish-rinsing in cool water after taking it out of the marbling bath and I'm not seeing any color washing off so it doesn't appear to be an alum problem. Anyone using a larger-scale tank like this have any tips for me? Thanks!
          >
          > P.S. - Does anyone know of a class or a marbler in the greater metro Denver area?

        • deluwiel1209
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2013
            I'm very excited about the class!  I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing more information about it.  I'm definitely a 'visual learner' - I can read all the material there is but it's so much more valuable to be able to see how it's done right in front of me!  I did discover that a large part of the problem was some contamination in my size - threw the whole batch out and started over with great results!  I'll post more pictures soon.

            ---In marbling@yahoogroups.com, <indigostone2@...> wrote:

            I work in a tank/tray that is 3 ft. x 8 ft. using methyl cellulose and Golden Fluid Acrylics. The surface tension is different in a larger tank. You may find it helpful to lay your paint in lines for the first pass. The next 3-4 passes bull's eye the ground color. It can help you get a good read on how much paint you need to get the desired amount of color. You can also put your droplets closer together as you lay paint. You may want to try manipulating the color less... wish I could be there to see what is going on.

            Next May I will be teaching 2 weekend classes in Denver through the Smokey Mountain Handweavers' Guild. It would be great to have you in the class and I would also enjoy seeing your set up if possible.

            Best,
            Laura Sims
            www.indigostonestudio.com

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Deluwiel" <deluwiel1209@...> wrote:

            > Using Golden Acrylics, Jacquard airbrush and textile colors on Methocel from Dharma Trading. I've had very good results with my scarf tank (18" x 72") and various smaller pans but I've recently begun working with a tank 48" x 63" for fabric pre-dyed various colors to use for garment patterns and needless to say, it's a whole 'nother ballgame! My problem is that the colors are coming out very faint - Paints are applied with eyedroppers or squirt bottles and have controlled spread, they don't disperse too much and look saturated enough floating on the bath, but after combing or swirling the patterns are very washed out and faint on the silk. I THINK I'm putting down enough paint to cover the surface pretty thoroughly, but maybe I just need more paint? But then don't I run the risk of subsequent colors not floating properly? I'm just gently swish-rinsing in cool water after taking it out of the marbling bath and I'm not seeing any color washing off so it doesn't appear to be an alum problem. Anyone using a larger-scale tank like this have any tips for me? Thanks!
            >
            > P.S. - Does anyone know of a class or a marbler in the greater metro Denver area?

          • Kath Thomas
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2013

              Linda,

              Can you please post the dates of the classes in Denver?

              Thanks,

              Kath Thomas