got a book in the mail....

  • Esdehority
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
      So I am a beginning marbler. I am making progress, but each paper or piece of fabric that isn't a disaster is precious, precious... I have used my new papers for covers and endpapers for three books, and the fabrics are still pinned up just to be admired.

      I had checked out from the library two of Iris Nevins' books, and found them valuable and decided to purchase copies of my own through Amazon. One was used, from a regular used book seller, but the other came directly from Ms. Nevins herself.

      (please forgive the caps, they are intentional)

      THE BOOK CAME IN THE MAIL WRAPPED IN GORGEOUS HAND MARBLED PAPER!!!!

      Ms. Nevins, took a BIG piece of multicolored marbled paper (I am still limited to 9 by 15 inch sheets that fit in my cookie pan) and wrapped the book in it, put tape on it (yes, put packing tape RIGHT ON THE MARBLING!!!) , put the address on it....

      I sliced the edge as carefully as I could, to preserve every inch of paper that didn't have writing taped to it...

      Several thoughts as I admire this post packaging that now sits on my coffee table
      1. Iris Nevins is an amazing artist
      2. What a gift to all the post office folks, to send such a pretty parcel through the mail!
      3. I just can't imagine marbled paper being such an expendable commodity that I could wrap stuff in it, but I guess if I keep up my practicing, I will eventually have enough pieces not intended for a particular project that I could use them for other things...

      still amazed at this package.... I wonder if there's any way I could safely get the packing tape off to salvage even more of the paper?????

      Elizabeth in NC
      (Charlotte, in response to an email from another North Carolinian... I would be happy to wander over to Asheville/Black Mountain to get together... )

    • Irisnevins@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
        Hi
        Oh that is funny! I ran out if envelopes so wrapped in paper! I will now keep doing it. I had no idea it would make you so happy! Actually it is a way to use seconds. My Christmas gifts are all wrapped in them too.

        Please feel free to email me for any advice.
        IrisNevins
        Www.marblingpaper.com

        On Jun 29, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

        > So I am a beginning marbler. I am making progress, but each paper or piece of fabric that isn't a disaster is precious, precious... I have used my new papers for covers and endpapers for three books, and the fabrics are still pinned up just to be admired.
        >
        > I had checked out from the library two of Iris Nevins' books, and found them valuable and decided to purchase copies of my own through Amazon. One was used, from a regular used book seller, but the other came directly from Ms. Nevins herself.
        >
        > (please forgive the caps, they are intentional)
        >
        > THE BOOK CAME IN THE MAIL WRAPPED IN GORGEOUS HAND MARBLED PAPER!!!!
        >
        > Ms. Nevins, took a BIG piece of multicolored marbled paper (I am still limited to 9 by 15 inch sheets that fit in my cookie pan) and wrapped the book in it, put tape on it (yes, put packing tape RIGHT ON THE MARBLING!!!) , put the address on it....
        >
        > I sliced the edge as carefully as I could, to preserve every inch of paper that didn't have writing taped to it...
        >
        > Several thoughts as I admire this post packaging that now sits on my coffee table
        > 1. Iris Nevins is an amazing artist
        > 2. What a gift to all the post office folks, to send such a pretty parcel through the mail!
        > 3. I just can't imagine marbled paper being such an expendable commodity that I could wrap stuff in it, but I guess if I keep up my practicing, I will eventually have enough pieces not intended for a particular project that I could use them for other things...
        >
        > still amazed at this package.... I wonder if there's any way I could safely get the packing tape off to salvage even more of the paper?????
        >
        > Elizabeth in NC
        > (Charlotte, in response to an email from another North Carolinian... I would be happy to wander over to Asheville/Black Mountain to get together... )

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
          Adhesive tape:
          Place the paper flat on the table, weigh it down (you need both hands later). Turn on your blow dryer at lowest heat, let the air gently waft over the paper. After a few seconds the tape should be warm and soft. Try to gently and slowly take it off with the blow dryer still blowing. If it doesn't work, slip a sharp, thin knife unter the tape to lift it.

          Seconds:
          The longer you marble, the more critical you are about your results. In the long run you'll have enough wrapping paper, note paper, shopping list paper, to do list paper etc to last you a life time, with an ever growing heap of seconds and thirds to make the kindergarten next door and your customers happy.
          It's part of the job and part of the fun!

          Susanne Krause
        • Elsje
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
            Hi to all,

            Thanks for your answer, thanks for your help.

            Susanne (paper) world is small, yes I like to visit you if I can in Leiden.

            How nice you tell me about Henk Porck he is a friend of mine.

            wow wow wow....whats ALL happening to me today....

            Now I can tell you:

            I am also 1 of the fouder members of the ELFA: Envelope and LetterFolds
            Association

            I create and draw diagrams, how to make handfolded envelopes and letters.

            If you like go to

            http://elfa-exchange.blogspot.nl/

            see 7/6/2011 sumi envelopes in an exhibition in Germany

            and some more handfolded items (also from marbled paper)

            Happy marbling, happy folding

            xxxelsje

          • onemarbler
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
              To remind all us Americans... the 7/6/2011 date below is actually June 7,
              2011. In Europe they put the day of the month first.

              Elsje, you're a great addition to the marbling list!

              Lavinia

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
                Good day to all,

                Thanks for the compliments !

                If the ELFA group is to much

                you can go to

                http://thom-patterson.com/Origami/ELFA_25_Years.pdf

                if you want

                here you find a booklet with nice relative easy folding models

                (= A4 but most formats rectangular are possible)

                more you find in the files

                I would love to receive one of your

                handfolded-handmarbled-mailart-jewels

                and proudly show to my ELFA friends