Re: [Marbling] introduction, question

  • cherry_hill_drive
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
      Hi, Elsje,

      I have used the Boku-Undo inks from Japan on silks with good results. Usually I alum the silk first, but Diane Maurer feels that the alum is unnecessary and does not use it - her work is gorgeous! I have used all the colors, including the black. I have found when using the black especially, that I must work quickly when I am doing a scarf length, or it begins to dissipate in the water. If you google "suminagashi" you will get to the website of Mr. Tahaji (sp?) Kuroda in Japan who has a wonderful suminagashi jacket pictured. I can get the black to print fairly darkly, but the "red" is almost never more than a pink.

      Hope that helps!
      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
        Elsje,
        Your work is amazing. Wonderful patterns and colours.
        anne

        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM, elsje <ploegevd@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi to all,
        >
        > I am Elsje van der Ploeg from Holland.
        > I do marbling since 1990 as a hobby, first marbling, than suminagashi and
        > now also ebru.
        > My friend Yusuf and I combinate suminagashi and ebru.
        > You can see our work on http://sumi-ebru-marbling.blogspot.nl/
        >
        > question:
        > My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
        > Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?
        > Has anyone experienced it ? I have heard about kimono-dress in Japan with
        > suminagashi.
        >
        > thanks and happy marbling
        > xxxelsjevanderploeg

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
          Elsje, als je naar de kb gaat maak een afsprak met Henk Porck. Vraag hem om je de suminagashi's en de marmers in de collectie te laten zien. Dat is een schitternde collectie en je gaat veel leren, van de papieren en van Henk.
          Als je van plan bent deze November naar de boekkunstbeurs in Leiden te gaan, zou ik je graag aan mijn tafel begroeten.

          That was the fun part, now the same in English:
          Elsje, when going to the Hague make a date with Henk Porck and ask him to let you see the sumis and marbled papers in the collection. They are having a phantastic collection, and you'll learn a lot from the papers as well as from Henk.
          In case you're planning to visit the Book Arts Fair in Leiden in November I'd be happy to greet you at my table.

          Susanne Krause
        • Lilly
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
            I don't know the right name for suminagashi on silk.  Interesting thought.  I wonder what "silk" they use now that you mention it.

            >question:
            >My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
            >Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?

          • gretchen vansant
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
              CHINA SILK MAYBE??? LOL!