introduction, question

  • elsje
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hi to all,

      I am Elsje van der Ploeg from Holland.
      I do marbling since 1990 as a hobby, first marbling, than suminagashi and now also ebru.
      My friend Yusuf and I combinate suminagashi and ebru.
      You can see our work on http://sumi-ebru-marbling.blogspot.nl/

      question:
      My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
      Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?
      Has anyone experienced it ? I have heard about kimono-dress in Japan with suminagashi.

      thanks and happy marbling
      xxxelsjevanderploeg
    • Robin Heyeck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
        Dear Elsje,

        I marbled suminagashi on silk for one of the limited edition books I printed and published: Suminagashi-zome. I used the same high quality sumi ink that I use on paper and was careful not to swish the wet cloth around too much when I rinsed it in a bucket of clear water. The suminagashi lines were silver and very beautiful. If you want black lines, though, I can't help you.

        It's true that suminagashi was used on clothing in Japan. Tokutaro Yagi, author of Suminagashi-zome, talks about making the marbled cloth for yakatas and umbrellas among other items. He was a commercial marbler at the beginning of the twentieth century. There's a copy of Suminagash-zome in the national library in The Hague.

        Good luck,
        Robin Heyeck

        On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:39 PM, elsje wrote:

        > Hi to all,
        >
        > I am Elsje van der Ploeg from Holland.
        > I do marbling since 1990 as a hobby, first marbling, than suminagashi and now also ebru.
        > My friend Yusuf and I combinate suminagashi and ebru.
        > You can see our work on http://sumi-ebru-marbling.blogspot.nl/
        >
        > question:
        > My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
        > Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?
        > Has anyone experienced it ? I have heard about kimono-dress in Japan with suminagashi.
        >
        > thanks and happy marbling
        > xxxelsjevanderploeg

      • Kath Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
          Dear Elsje,

          Have done silk painting with dyes before and loved it, but difficulty with
          introducing dyes or inks to silk is the migration which just goes off and
          does its own thing and difficult to control. If you can stop the migration
          you should get clear images from the bath on the silk. I can't remember the
          name of the stuff that you have to use to stop the dye flow. But you might
          try that and see how it works - go to Jacquard site about resists
          http://www.jacquardproducts.com/resists.html . And send them an email
          asking about what to use.

          Kath Thomas

          I marbled suminagashi on silk for one of the limited edition books I printed
          and published: Suminagashi-zome. I used the same high quality sumi ink that
          I use on paper and was careful not to swish the wet cloth around too much
          when I rinsed it in a bucket of clear water. The suminagashi lines were
          silver and very beautiful. If you want black lines, though, I can't help
          you.

          It's true that suminagashi was used on clothing in Japan. Tokutaro Yagi,
          author of Suminagashi-zome, talks about making the marbled cloth for yakatas
          and umbrellas among other items. He was a commercial marbler at the
          beginning of the twentieth century. There's a copy of Suminagash-zome in the
          national library in The Hague.

          Good luck,
          Robin Heyeck

          On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:39 PM, elsje wrote:

          > Hi to all,
          >
          > I am Elsje van der Ploeg from Holland.
          > I do marbling since 1990 as a hobby, first marbling, than suminagashi and
          now also ebru.
          > My friend Yusuf and I combinate suminagashi and ebru.
          > You can see our work on http://sumi-ebru-marbling.blogspot.nl/
          >
          > question:
          > My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
          > Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?
          > Has anyone experienced it ? I have heard about kimono-dress in Japan with
          suminagashi.

          > thanks and happy marbling
          > xxxelsjevanderploeg

        • cherry_hill_drive
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
            Hi, Elsje,

            I have used the Boku-Undo inks from Japan on silks with good results. Usually I alum the silk first, but Diane Maurer feels that the alum is unnecessary and does not use it - her work is gorgeous! I have used all the colors, including the black. I have found when using the black especially, that I must work quickly when I am doing a scarf length, or it begins to dissipate in the water. If you google "suminagashi" you will get to the website of Mr. Tahaji (sp?) Kuroda in Japan who has a wonderful suminagashi jacket pictured. I can get the black to print fairly darkly, but the "red" is almost never more than a pink.

            Hope that helps!
            Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

            I marbled suminagashi on silk for one of the limited edition books I printed and published: Suminagashi-zome. I used the same high quality sumi ink that I use on paper and was careful not to swish the wet cloth around too much when I rinsed it in a bucket of clear water. The suminagashi lines were silver and very beautiful. If you want black lines, though, I can't help you.

            It's true that suminagashi was used on clothing in Japan. Tokutaro Yagi, author of Suminagashi-zome, talks about making the marbled cloth for yakatas and umbrellas among other items. He was a commercial marbler at the beginning of the twentieth century. There's a copy of Suminagash-zome in the national library in The Hague.

            Good luck,
            Robin Heyeck

            On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:39 PM, elsje wrote:

            > Hi to all,
            >
            > I am Elsje van der Ploeg from Holland.
            > I do marbling since 1990 as a hobby, first marbling, than suminagashi and now also ebru.
            > My friend Yusuf and I combinate suminagashi and ebru.
            > You can see our work on http://sumi-ebru-marbling.blogspot.nl/
            >
            > question:
            > My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
            > Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?
            > Has anyone experienced it ? I have heard about kimono-dress in Japan with suminagashi.
            >
            > thanks and happy marbling
            > xxxelsjevanderploeg

          • Elsje
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
              Thank you Robin,

              for your information about suminagashi,

              yes yes I ment "silver" when I said "black and white"

              (to explain that I did not mean "colored" sumi.)

              I have a dear friend working in the national library in The Hague and he
              will show me the book !!!

              xxxe

              Dear Elsje,

              I marbled suminagashi on silk for one of the limited edition books I printed
              and published: Suminagashi-zome. I used the same high quality sumi ink that
              I use on paper and was careful not to swish the wet cloth around too much
              when I rinsed it in a bucket of clear water. The suminagashi lines were
              silver and very beautiful. If you want black lines, though, I can't help
              you.

              It's true that suminagashi was used on clothing in Japan. Tokutaro Yagi,
              author of Suminagashi-zome, talks about making the marbled cloth for yakatas
              and umbrellas among other items. He was a commercial marbler at the
              beginning of the twentieth century. There's a copy of Suminagash-zome in the
              national library in The Hague.

              Good luck,
              Robin Heyeck

            • Anne Peters
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 28, 2013
                Elsje,
                Your work is amazing. Wonderful patterns and colours.
                anne

                On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM, elsje <ploegevd@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi to all,
                >
                > I am Elsje van der Ploeg from Holland.
                > I do marbling since 1990 as a hobby, first marbling, than suminagashi and
                > now also ebru.
                > My friend Yusuf and I combinate suminagashi and ebru.
                > You can see our work on http://sumi-ebru-marbling.blogspot.nl/
                >
                > question:
                > My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
                > Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?
                > Has anyone experienced it ? I have heard about kimono-dress in Japan with
                > suminagashi.
                >
                > thanks and happy marbling
                > xxxelsjevanderploeg

              • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 29, 2013
                  Elsje, als je naar de kb gaat maak een afsprak met Henk Porck. Vraag hem om je de suminagashi's en de marmers in de collectie te laten zien. Dat is een schitternde collectie en je gaat veel leren, van de papieren en van Henk.
                  Als je van plan bent deze November naar de boekkunstbeurs in Leiden te gaan, zou ik je graag aan mijn tafel begroeten.

                  That was the fun part, now the same in English:
                  Elsje, when going to the Hague make a date with Henk Porck and ask him to let you see the sumis and marbled papers in the collection. They are having a phantastic collection, and you'll learn a lot from the papers as well as from Henk.
                  In case you're planning to visit the Book Arts Fair in Leiden in November I'd be happy to greet you at my table.

                  Susanne Krause
                • Lilly
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                    I don't know the right name for suminagashi on silk.  Interesting thought.  I wonder what "silk" they use now that you mention it.

                    >question:
                    >My question is about suminagashi (blach-white) on silk.
                    >Can one of you tell me the name of the right sumi to bring on silk?

                  • gretchen vansant
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                      CHINA SILK MAYBE??? LOL!