marbling with oil paint

  • D or Jer Guffey
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 20, 2013
      From: Cat
      I plan to use my marbling prints in conjunction with monoprinting and even intaglio. I am also going to try out the oil based method.
      Thanks for any help whatsoever- I really love marbling. You might say, it has become an obsession. I'll try to figure out how to post images soon.
      Cat

      The only advantage of marbling with oil paints is that you don't have to alum the paper. The disadvantage is having to thin the paints with paint thinner or turpentine...both smelly, and possibly toxic to some extent. I know from which I speak because from 1976 to 1980 I only used oil paints...once I switched to acrylics I never went back. Also, you cannot get fine lines with oils as with acrylics and the paint permeates the paper to the other side.

      But try it, just to see...you may like the results.

      d.guffey

    • Cat
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 20, 2013
        d.guffy, I will take this to heart. I can print oil based inks on top of acrylics, so it may not come up.
        Cat
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "D or Jer Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:

        > From: Cat
        > I plan to use my marbling prints in conjunction with monoprinting and even intaglio. I am also going to try out the oil based method.
        > Thanks for any help whatsoever- I really love marbling. You might say, it has become an obsession. I'll try to figure out how to post images soon.
        > Cat
        >

        > The only advantage of marbling with oil paints is that you don't have to alum the paper. The disadvantage is having to thin the paints with paint thinner or turpentine...both smelly, and possibly toxic to some extent. I know from which I speak because from 1976 to 1980 I only used oil paints...once I switched to acrylics I never went back. Also, you cannot get fine lines with oils as with acrylics and the paint permeates the paper to the other side.
        >
        > But try it, just to see...you may like the results.
        >
        > d.guffey

      • Carole Floate
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 21, 2013
          Hi everyone,
          I have about 15#'s of methylcellulose and 125 1/2oz bottles of clear amonia.  Is there anyone interested in it?  Does anyone use it?

          Carole A. Floate
          CF Turnings
          200 W. Witchwood Lane
          Lake Bluff, IL 60044
          P 847-295-2631
          F 847-295-2675

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 21, 2013
            I echo the recommendation of Canson Mi Tientes - lots of delicious
            colors. Marbles nicely though a bit thicker than I like for some
            purposes. If you live near a city of any size you may be able to find
            these in art supply or craft stores. Even in Hickory, Hobby Lobby
            carried them. Good to see the colors in person, though you may find
            cheaper prices online.
            The other black paper I adore is Hahnemuhle Ingres
            <http://www.dickblick.com/products/hahnemuhle-ingres-paper/> , which
            also comes in off-whites and several muted colors. The paper is German
            made and easy to work with. It almost never gives me an air bubble and
            wraps around boards nicely. (Can stretch if it gets very damp with
            glue.) I order it from Dick Blick, but if anyone has found an even
            cheaper source, please let us know. Hahnemulhle will let you mix and
            match colors for the bulk discount on the Blick site. I've experimented
            with their other colors, but the only ones I regularly use are the dark
            blue-green and orange (which is more of a marigold color.) Be sure to
            use some metallic paints on your black paper!
            I'm now in Black Mountain, near Asheville. Are you in the western part
            of the state?
            Ginny Moreland