suminagashi inks question

  • Esdehority
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16, 2013
      hi, friends,

      I am having fun with the Boku Undu sumi inks, but want to add colors without mixing so much... i found some calligraphy inks at the craft store which don't seem to work well even with photoflo... then I found Liquitex Professional Acrylic inks at the art store. The person at the counter said they would work, but I'm not sure she actually knew what I was asking. Has anyone had success with these for Sumi , or even regular marbling for that matter?

      Also, how about the pigment ink or dye ink reinkers for stamp pads? Do they work?

      Thanks,

      Elizabeth in NC

      .

    • cherry_hill_drive
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2013
        HI!
        My experience with the the calligraphy inks is that they must be the waterproof ones, otherwise they just disperse into the bath. The acrylic inks work pretty well - the pearlescent ones are yummy on dark papers.
        My hunch for the reinkers and the pigment ink is that they will disperse into the bath; I have used pigment dye for marbling.

        HTH!
        Caryl in Indianapolis

        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2013
          Your insights and the links you;ve posted, plus the books i've gotten through library loan (some fabulous out of print ones) are really helping.

          All my little boys and my sweet husband have enjoyed helping and watching me get so excited about this new-to-me art.

          I have read about a variety of classes and workshops and especially about artists who will do one day or one weekend private study....

          If you could take just a couple of days away from a busy family to really learn the very beginnings of marbling.... thinking you were not an absolute beginner, but had been self taught, so probably learned lots of things the wrong way :-) which teacher or course is

          the best

          the most fun

          leaves you most inspired to keep on learning

          will teach absolutely solid fundamentals before adding newer stuff

          .... price is not really an issue, location is important though, in that it would be helpful to be near an airport.

          Any suggestions?

          Elizabeth in NC

          (and I got the nicest email offer of help from someone here IN north carolina, but can't find it... can you resend?

          Thanks!

        • Nancy Akerly
          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2013
            I would highly recommend any class by Galen Berry. His classes are so inclusive, informative, and hands on, plus his laid back teaching style puts everyone at ease while teaching an incredible amount in only three days. He teaches all over so check on his marbleart.us site for dates and classes.

            And if you are anywhere close to Wisconsin I am teaching a two day marbling intensive at The Clearing in Ellison Bay in June. Not really close to any airports, Green Bay is 1 1/2 hours away. But a great deal of informative, creative, messy fun!

            Nancy Akerly

            Sent from my iPad
            Liberty Grove Paper Arts
            http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

            On May 18, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

            > Your insights and the links you;ve posted, plus the books i've gotten through library loan (some fabulous out of print ones) are really helping.
            >
            > All my little boys and my sweet husband have enjoyed helping and watching me get so excited about this new-to-me art.
            >
            > I have read about a variety of classes and workshops and especially about artists who will do one day or one weekend private study....
            >
            > If you could take just a couple of days away from a busy family to really learn the very beginnings of marbling.... thinking you were not an absolute beginner, but had been self taught, so probably learned lots of things the wrong way :-) which teacher or course is
            >
            > the best
            >
            > the most fun
            >
            > leaves you most inspired to keep on learning
            >
            > will teach absolutely solid fundamentals before adding newer stuff
            >
            > .... price is not really an issue, location is important though, in that it would be helpful to be near an airport.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Elizabeth in NC
            >
            > (and I got the nicest email offer of help from someone here IN north carolina, but can't find it... can you resend?
            >
            > Thanks!

          • cherry_hill_drive
            Message 5 of 14 , May 19, 2013
              Other places to look for marbling classes, that are nearer to NC are Arrowmont School of Art and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN, and the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brass, NC (I think, though is could be SC). Each of them usually offers at least one marbling class a year - sometimes "pure" marbling, sometimes included in one of the book art classes.

              Good luck and HTH!
              Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

              I would highly recommend any class by Galen Berry. His classes are so inclusive, informative, and hands on, plus his laid back teaching style puts everyone at ease while teaching an incredible amount in only three days. He teaches all over so check on his marbleart.us site for dates and classes.

              And if you are anywhere close to Wisconsin I am teaching a two day marbling intensive at The Clearing in Ellison Bay in June. Not really close to any airports, Green Bay is 1 1/2 hours away. But a great deal of informative, creative, messy fun!

              Nancy Akerly

              Sent from my iPad
              Liberty Grove Paper Arts
              http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

              On May 18, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

              > Your insights and the links you;ve posted, plus the books i've gotten through library loan (some fabulous out of print ones) are really helping.
              >
              > All my little boys and my sweet husband have enjoyed helping and watching me get so excited about this new-to-me art.
              >
              > I have read about a variety of classes and workshops and especially about artists who will do one day or one weekend private study....
              >
              > If you could take just a couple of days away from a busy family to really learn the very beginnings of marbling.... thinking you were not an absolute beginner, but had been self taught, so probably learned lots of things the wrong way :-) which teacher or course is
              >
              > the best
              >
              > the most fun
              >
              > leaves you most inspired to keep on learning
              >
              > will teach absolutely solid fundamentals before adding newer stuff
              >
              > .... price is not really an issue, location is important though, in that it would be helpful to be near an airport.
              >
              > Any suggestions?
              >
              > Elizabeth in NC
              >
              > (and I got the nicest email offer of help from someone here IN north carolina, but can't find it... can you resend?
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Nancy Akerly
              Message 6 of 14 , May 19, 2013
                Elizabeth, I can't believe I didn't mention Campbell! Pat Thomas teaches marbling at John C. Campbell, both paper and fabric and she is a super teacher and a fine human being! Great suggestion, Caryl! And, Elizabeth, it's close to you!

                On May 19, 2013, at 5:43 PM, carylhanc@... wrote:

                > Other places to look for marbling classes, that are nearer to NC are Arrowmont School of Art and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN, and the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brass, NC (I think, though is could be SC). Each of them usually offers at least one marbling class a year - sometimes "pure" marbling, sometimes included in one of the book art classes.
                >
                > Good luck and HTH!
                > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

              • Laura Sims
                Message 7 of 14 , May 20, 2013
                  Elizabeth I started with a weekend class in 1985 and quit my job a year later to marble full-time and am still at it.  Also, Penland School of Craft in western NC (penland.org) also has some classes from time to time.  I will be teaching an "Intuitive Marbling on Cotton and Silk" class at the Omega Institute June 16-21 in Rhinebeck, NY you may want to check out.

                  Enjoy the journey,
                  Laura Sims
                  www.indigostonestudio.com