Re: marbling literature

  • jjodrey
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2013
      Hello,

      I would love to see someone develop an online course in marbling. I live in a very small town, far from any major centres where an in-person course might be offered. I'm sure there are lots of others out there like me.

      I've cobbled together lots of free online resources and watched a number of YouTube videos on the subject, but a soundly developed online course that explores marbling start to finish (or as close to finish as possible), would be an exceptional resource for many.

      Best,
      Jill

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

      > I think two of the best current marbling resources are books by Galen Berry and Diane Maurer. I honestly don't know all that is involved, but I wish we could support and urge both of these wonderful marblers to make their work available in an electronic format. I generally share a copy of Galen's book at each Marbling Workshop I teach and I believe many more could be sold if they were readily available online. Some of Diane's books are still available but her 'bible' of marbling is out of print. Just my thoughts on the topic . . . And yes, there are indeed wonderful resources available on YouTube and in various blogs and places like the Book Arts list serve site.
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      > Liberty Grove Paper Arts
      > http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com
      >
      > On May 12, 2013, at 7:03 PM, "dixongarrett" <dixong@...> wrote:
      >
      > > A little bit of searching the web can turn up a fair amount of marbling literature for free reading and downloading pdfs. Diderot at http://diderot.alembert.free.fr/M.html, Woolnough (first 30 pages) at
      > > http://klibredb.lib.kanagawa-u.ac.jp/dspace/bitstream/10487/9168/1/marbling%20001.pdf, Halfer (English translation) at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41241/41241-h/41241-h.htm and Fichtenberg at http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6315413r/f1.image.r=manuel%20lithographie.langFR
      > > You can also purchase more recent literature,in many cases inexpensively, through used booksellers such as ABEbooks.
      > > Garrett Dixon

    • jemiljan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2013
        Thanks for posting those links, Garrett!

        Not sure why, but I had some trouble getting the Woolnough link that you
        posted to work properly, but then I found this direct link
        <http://klibredb.lib.kanagawa-u.ac.jp/dspace/handle/10487/9168> to all
        of the parts of the book. Too bad they are very large files despite
        being in black and white...

        I remember that Iris said once that Nicholson had plagiarized Woolnough
        in his Manual of the Art of Bookbinding, and original copies had very
        similar papers, so that's something else to look for.

        Part 2 of John Pleger'sBookbinding and its Auxiliary Branches
        <http://archive.org/stream/bookbindingandi01pleggoog#page/n0/mode/2up>
        has a section on marbling. Somewhere in one of the volumes, he has a
        fold-out plate depicting various marbled edges that is fun.

        Also, a gentle reminder to everyone that many historical marbling texts
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/files/Historical%20Marbling%20Ac\
        counts/> have already been uploaded into the Files section
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/files/> of the marbling group
        website. All you have to do is log in to the site directly, click on the
        links, and then you can download away. Also, please feel free to upload
        additional materials, should you find any.

        Jake Benson