Re: Natural Paints

  • Philippines via Arkansas
    Message 1 of 14 , May 12, 2013
      The seaweed makes a great gel. I have found that Ox gall works well with watercolor, as you said, and I know it works well with poster paints. Coffee has been a bear to use and I really want to find a way to use it. Even when used with white paints it doesn't work. But, I don't give up easy ....

      Message 2 of 14 , May 12, 2013
        As far as I know, for traditional style marbling, the paints need to be pigment based. If you put coffee in, it will disperse I imagine. Maybe if you actually ground the beans to an extremely fine powder (I don't mean using instant coffee, but the bean). and mixed with white paint it might work. Keep in mind too that most pigments even, don't work so well with marbling. I'd be surprised if coffee works. If you want natural paints you can get earth colors like red, yellow and tans in the ochres.
        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

        On 05/12/13, Philippines via Arkansas<jahral@...> wrote:

        The seaweed makes a great gel. I have found that Ox gall works well with watercolor, as you said, and I know it works well with poster paints. Coffee has been a bear to use and I really want to find a way to use it. Even when used with white paints it doesn't work. But, I don't give up easy ....

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

        > I don't know if this is any help to you. Ox Gall is normally used for
        > watercolors, it might also work for the poster paints, but for acrylic
        > paints you would use Photo-Flo or even greatly watered down dish detergent,
        > if either one of those is available to you there.
        >
        > You might try adding some polymer medium to the coffee for a little body if
        > you're able to get it there.
        >
        > I've also been using guar gum as a gel, that might be available, but if the
        > seaweed is there, I would use that as you have been.
        >
        > It's always good to experiment and see what you can come up with.
        > HH
        > Sue

      • elizabeth
        Message 3 of 14 , May 12, 2013
          On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Philippines via Arkansas
          <jahral@...>wrote:

          > you would use Photo-Flo or even greatly watered down dish detergent,
          > > if either one of those is available to you there.

          Hi Sue, I'm amazed that dish detergent would work. I guess it shouldn't be
          the antibacterial kind, right? Thanks Lilly

          Message 4 of 14 , May 13, 2013
            It works.... I like ox gall or photo flo better but it works if you have nothing else. Just be sure to dilute it first!
            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            Message 5 of 14 , May 15, 2013
              hanks Iris.

            • Esdehority
              Message 6 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                hi, friends,

                I am having fun with the Boku Undu sumi inks, but want to add colors without mixing so much... i found some calligraphy inks at the craft store which don't seem to work well even with photoflo... then I found Liquitex Professional Acrylic inks at the art store. The person at the counter said they would work, but I'm not sure she actually knew what I was asking. Has anyone had success with these for Sumi , or even regular marbling for that matter?

                Also, how about the pigment ink or dye ink reinkers for stamp pads? Do they work?

                Thanks,

                Elizabeth in NC

                .

              • cherry_hill_drive
                Message 7 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                  HI!
                  My experience with the the calligraphy inks is that they must be the waterproof ones, otherwise they just disperse into the bath. The acrylic inks work pretty well - the pearlescent ones are yummy on dark papers.
                  My hunch for the reinkers and the pigment ink is that they will disperse into the bath; I have used pigment dye for marbling.

                  HTH!
                  Caryl in Indianapolis

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                    Your insights and the links you;ve posted, plus the books i've gotten through library loan (some fabulous out of print ones) are really helping.

                    All my little boys and my sweet husband have enjoyed helping and watching me get so excited about this new-to-me art.

                    I have read about a variety of classes and workshops and especially about artists who will do one day or one weekend private study....

                    If you could take just a couple of days away from a busy family to really learn the very beginnings of marbling.... thinking you were not an absolute beginner, but had been self taught, so probably learned lots of things the wrong way :-) which teacher or course is

                    the best

                    the most fun

                    leaves you most inspired to keep on learning

                    will teach absolutely solid fundamentals before adding newer stuff

                    .... price is not really an issue, location is important though, in that it would be helpful to be near an airport.

                    Any suggestions?

                    Elizabeth in NC

                    (and I got the nicest email offer of help from someone here IN north carolina, but can't find it... can you resend?

                    Thanks!

                  • Nancy Akerly
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                      I would highly recommend any class by Galen Berry. His classes are so inclusive, informative, and hands on, plus his laid back teaching style puts everyone at ease while teaching an incredible amount in only three days. He teaches all over so check on his marbleart.us site for dates and classes.

                      And if you are anywhere close to Wisconsin I am teaching a two day marbling intensive at The Clearing in Ellison Bay in June. Not really close to any airports, Green Bay is 1 1/2 hours away. But a great deal of informative, creative, messy fun!

                      Nancy Akerly

                      Sent from my iPad
                      Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                      http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

                      On May 18, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

                      > Your insights and the links you;ve posted, plus the books i've gotten through library loan (some fabulous out of print ones) are really helping.
                      >
                      > All my little boys and my sweet husband have enjoyed helping and watching me get so excited about this new-to-me art.
                      >
                      > I have read about a variety of classes and workshops and especially about artists who will do one day or one weekend private study....
                      >
                      > If you could take just a couple of days away from a busy family to really learn the very beginnings of marbling.... thinking you were not an absolute beginner, but had been self taught, so probably learned lots of things the wrong way :-) which teacher or course is
                      >
                      > the best
                      >
                      > the most fun
                      >
                      > leaves you most inspired to keep on learning
                      >
                      > will teach absolutely solid fundamentals before adding newer stuff
                      >
                      > .... price is not really an issue, location is important though, in that it would be helpful to be near an airport.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions?
                      >
                      > Elizabeth in NC
                      >
                      > (and I got the nicest email offer of help from someone here IN north carolina, but can't find it... can you resend?
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • cherry_hill_drive
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 19, 2013
                        Other places to look for marbling classes, that are nearer to NC are Arrowmont School of Art and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN, and the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brass, NC (I think, though is could be SC). Each of them usually offers at least one marbling class a year - sometimes "pure" marbling, sometimes included in one of the book art classes.

                        Good luck and HTH!
                        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                        I would highly recommend any class by Galen Berry. His classes are so inclusive, informative, and hands on, plus his laid back teaching style puts everyone at ease while teaching an incredible amount in only three days. He teaches all over so check on his marbleart.us site for dates and classes.

                        And if you are anywhere close to Wisconsin I am teaching a two day marbling intensive at The Clearing in Ellison Bay in June. Not really close to any airports, Green Bay is 1 1/2 hours away. But a great deal of informative, creative, messy fun!

                        Nancy Akerly

                        Sent from my iPad
                        Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                        http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

                        On May 18, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

                        > Your insights and the links you;ve posted, plus the books i've gotten through library loan (some fabulous out of print ones) are really helping.
                        >
                        > All my little boys and my sweet husband have enjoyed helping and watching me get so excited about this new-to-me art.
                        >
                        > I have read about a variety of classes and workshops and especially about artists who will do one day or one weekend private study....
                        >
                        > If you could take just a couple of days away from a busy family to really learn the very beginnings of marbling.... thinking you were not an absolute beginner, but had been self taught, so probably learned lots of things the wrong way :-) which teacher or course is
                        >
                        > the best
                        >
                        > the most fun
                        >
                        > leaves you most inspired to keep on learning
                        >
                        > will teach absolutely solid fundamentals before adding newer stuff
                        >
                        > .... price is not really an issue, location is important though, in that it would be helpful to be near an airport.
                        >
                        > Any suggestions?
                        >
                        > Elizabeth in NC
                        >
                        > (and I got the nicest email offer of help from someone here IN north carolina, but can't find it... can you resend?
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • Nancy Akerly
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 19, 2013
                          Elizabeth, I can't believe I didn't mention Campbell! Pat Thomas teaches marbling at John C. Campbell, both paper and fabric and she is a super teacher and a fine human being! Great suggestion, Caryl! And, Elizabeth, it's close to you!

                          On May 19, 2013, at 5:43 PM, carylhanc@... wrote:

                          > Other places to look for marbling classes, that are nearer to NC are Arrowmont School of Art and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN, and the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brass, NC (I think, though is could be SC). Each of them usually offers at least one marbling class a year - sometimes "pure" marbling, sometimes included in one of the book art classes.
                          >
                          > Good luck and HTH!
                          > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                        • Laura Sims
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 20, 2013
                            Elizabeth I started with a weekend class in 1985 and quit my job a year later to marble full-time and am still at it.  Also, Penland School of Craft in western NC (penland.org) also has some classes from time to time.  I will be teaching an "Intuitive Marbling on Cotton and Silk" class at the Omega Institute June 16-21 in Rhinebeck, NY you may want to check out.

                            Enjoy the journey,
                            Laura Sims
                            www.indigostonestudio.com