Re: Problem!

  • Milena Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2001
      Jill,yes, please invesitgate...hoever...Sept. 3 is almost here...and then
      maybe the reminder will go away! -Milena

      J Dolphin wrote:

      > Arg!!!!!!! I Thought I had resolved this repeat
      > announcement..........hmmmm.....more sleuthing to do! LOL
      > Jill

    • Jan Bond
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2001
        Hi everyone,

        My anti-virus software detected a worm virus in the attachment of the
        "margworklet" message--so I advise you not to open it.

        Cheers,
        Jan
      • kygin@gte.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
          I'm a lurker and have been for the last couple of months. I
          appreciate this list and have learned a good deal. But I'm curious
          about something. Why are attachments permitted in this group?
          (Please don't take that as a challenging question.) Since Yahoo
          maintains a group file area for members' use, it seems a needless
          risk to allow attachments to posts, which may, in fact, not be files
          of interest, but rather files containing viruses or worms
          unintentionally uploaded by members with infected computers. Again,
          this is an honest question borne out of a desire to know, not a
          challenge to the moderators.

          Gin
          http://www.ginpetty.com

          --- In Marbling@y..., Jan Bond <jan@t...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > My anti-virus software detected a worm virus in the attachment of
          the
          > "margworklet" message--so I advise you not to open it.
          >

          > Cheers,
          > Jan
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
            Thanks. I do not take your question as a challenge.........Well, fact of the
            matter is, this list has never had a 'rule' about attachments to posts. I
            figured readers will either open those files, or not. The files section for
            the list is available for readers to post in for those who wish to ........I
            recall there was one instance last year where a file there was unable to be
            read--perhaps some glitch in the header that not all could
            interupt...........And I appreciate when a post is indicated to be a hazard
            to all.
            Jill

          • kygin@gte.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
              >>I figured readers will either open those files, or not.

              That becomes the problem. No one should open unsolicited
              attachments, at least, not unless they check them first, but there
              are members here, I'm sure, who aren't running virus protection
              programs. There's no safety valve for them, no way to check. Files
              which are uploaded to the Yahoo marbling driectory were intentionally
              uploaded and are likely to be okay, but that's not true of email
              attachments. Many emails infected with viruses/worms were uploaded
              without the senders' knowledge. (I didn't bother to check, but I
              suspect the "margworklet" post is a case in point and is SirCam
              worm.) Personal opinion here -- to me, it would seem safer for all
              members if the moderators would disallow attachements. When that
              function is checked in the options box, Yahoo will strip all
              attachements from posts, yet it would still be possible to upload the
              files to the file area. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

              Gin
              http://www.ginpetty.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Laura Sims
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001

                Dear Gin,

                Thank you... I unfortunately know very little about computers.  Though I have a mechanism to scan for viruses, I expect anything that is introduced on the group list to be okay.  I did not know that I was being nieve.  I must say I do get tired of mischief and malice.  This group is so valuable that it burns me a bit to know that someone is getting there jollys trying to destroy it.

                Laura Sims

                Indigo Stone

              • oguzhan tugrul
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
                  Dear Jan Bond,
                  A belated thank you for your sharp attention and concern.
                  I listened to your advice.This friend who unknowingly sent the virus ,is she
                  not able to detect her computer and is it not a custom to apologize?
                  You must have saved a lot that we are not even aware of to what limits the
                  damage to us could have been.
                  Be my guest if you come to Istanbul and I will guide you in the local
                  marbling world,
                  cordially,
                  Oguz Han
                  > My anti-virus software detected a worm virus in the attachment of the
                  > "margworklet" message--so I advise you not to open it.
                  >

                  > Cheers,
                  > Jan

                • J Dolphin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
                    She did not know that file was infected. Not everyone has virus detection
                    software either. I have taken the file out of the list.
                    Jill