beginner questions

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2013
      look through the archives of this group

      go to youtube - there are TONS of marbling videos on there. Look for both
      marbling and ebru for search terms on youtube and google.

      At Amazon, a lot of the marbling books are available as used books.

      Dharma trading sells Peggy Skycrafts dvd

      I think Mimi Schleicher's dvd is still available - she sells them directly

      Keep doing it. Sometimes, as people say, "it's the time of the moon".
      What works now wont' work 5 minutes from now and vice versa.

      These are some of the things I have done. I've only had on "real" marbling
      lesson, the rest has been self taught through trial and error
      HTH
      Sue

    • Esdehority
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2013
        I am working my way through these resources. I am thrilled with how many VERY expensive out of print books that my local library has or can get for me.

        Meanwhile, one more question, I am of course experimenting but would love to reduce wasted paper and paints by learning from your experience.

        I would think that a marbled paper would have most depth and interest if the colors had a range of intensities from light to dark. To make a lighter color, is it best to add white, to add Gall or to add water? I would think that all three would lighten up a color... my experiments trying to acheive a light but bright pink seem to be indicating that it may require more than one thing.. some white to make it more pastel and then a bit of gall to make it a little more translucent?

        Is there a rule of thumb about lightening colors??

        Elizabeth in NC

        go to youtube - there are TONS of marbling videos on there. Look for both
        marbling and ebru for search terms on youtube and google.

        At Amazon, a lot of the marbling books are available as used books.

        Dharma trading sells Peggy Skycrafts dvd

        I think Mimi Schleicher's dvd is still available - she sells them directly

        Keep doing it. Sometimes, as people say, "it's the time of the moon".
        What works now wont' work 5 minutes from now and vice versa.

        These are some of the things I have done. I've only had on "real" marbling
        lesson, the rest has been self taught through trial and error
        HTH
        Sue

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2013
          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

          > I am working my way through these resources. I am thrilled with how many VERY expensive out of print books that my local library has or can get for me.
          >
          > Meanwhile, one more question, I am of course experimenting but would love to reduce wasted paper and paints by learning from your experience.
          >
          > I would think that a marbled paper would have most depth and interest if the colors had a range of intensities from light to dark. To make a lighter color, is it best to add white, to add Gall or to add water? I would think that all three would lighten up a color... my experiments trying to acheive a light but bright pink seem to be indicating that it may require more than one thing.. some white to make it more pastel and then a bit of gall to make it a little more translucent?
          >
          > Is there a rule of thumb about lightening colors??
          >
          > Elizabeth in NC

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2013
            Elizabeth,

            by adding white you don't make a colour lighter. What you get is either a pastel or a fiery version of your colour, depending a) on the ratio, b)on the paint media you're using and c) on everything else.

            Susanne Krause

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:
            To make a lighter color, is it best to add white, to add Gall or to add water? I would think that all three would lighten up a color... my experiments trying to acheive a light but bright pink seem to be indicating that it may require more than one thing.. some white to make it more pastel and then a bit of gall to make it a little more translucent?

            > Is there a rule of thumb about lightening colors??
            >
            > Elizabeth in NC

          • Jack Northrup
            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2013
                 It is true less ox gall, not as much spreading, you get darker colors, more ox gall more spreading lighter colors.    However, I can get pastels by using a container with a bigger surface area and the same paint mix. I have found trying to mix paint to spread right for container area is not easy. Just change container surface area size.
                 When you start changing paint densities you may wind up with paint sinking and problems with paint sticking to papers.

              Visit:

              Jack Northrup.com
              Black, White, and Red

              Life in the Philippines and more

            • Sohail Akhtar
              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2013
                hi.  please some one tell me how to water marble leather?