Re: Marbling gets Press

  • Barb Skoog
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2013
      Yay, Pat and Larissa! Way to represent!! (Even though I feel you totally got robbed...you deserve at least a 12-page spread with all your beautiful work!!)

    • Esdehority
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2013
        I am a new beginner, marbling daily for a week now. I am starting to be able to see how the colors work and how they can be moved, I am starting to recognize how it all comes together.

        Tonight I got my leftover size out of the fridge, poured it into the tray,skimmed it, and sprinkled my paints, combed them, printed it, rinsed it, and it really worked! Just like the picture on the top of page 15 of Galen Berry's book, the example of terrible beginner marbling... but IMHO it was marbled, the paint stuck, and there is definite improvement.

        But here's my question - after I made a few more prints, the paints started to sink more and spread less. I can only assume this was because the size was approaching room temperature? How can I fix this for next time? I would like to be able to make more than two prints per session....

        Also, besides Galen Berry's book, what other books and DVDs should I have? (not including the 300 dollar ones that are out of print that I have on reserve at the library :-)

        Thanks

        Elizabeth in NC

        Reply to sender

        Reply to group

        Start a New Topic

        Messages in this topic (2)

        RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 1 New Photos 5
        Visit Your Group

        .

      • George Reynolds
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2013
          There are two important variables here:
          1. The size
          2. The paint enhancement

          If you are using Galen Berrys carrageenan then you should be good to go if you use his recipe. I work in a basement where the temp is 55 to 65 degrees and its good for a week.

          Enhancement of the paint is a bit more of a project. I use only acrylic paint from Liquitec so can only speak to that. Some people seem to do well just diluting the paint a bit with water but that has never worked well for me (possibly I have not tried hard enough). What has worked very well is to mix the paint with Golden Fabric Medium about 60/40 paint to medium. I also find that doing the mixing a few days in advance and letting all the bubbles dissipate REALLY helps.

          George
        • Nancy Akerly
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2013
            Good for you, Elizabeth! An other excellent resource is Diane Maurer's Creating Marbled Patterns which 'is a full-color reprint of the patterning section from The Ultimate Marbling Handbook, with instructions for creating 38 classical marbled designs.' It costs $20 plus shipping, with 20 pages of gorgeous photos of the patterns and clear instructions. Since the original is one of those out of print classics, this is the next best!
            Nancy Akerly

            Sent from my iPad
            Liberty Grove Paper Arts
            http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

            On May 10, 2013, at 11:29 PM, Esdehority <ESDeHority@...> wrote:

            > I am a new beginner, marbling daily for a week now. I am starting to be able to see how the colors work and how they can be moved, I am starting to recognize how it all comes together.
            >
            > Tonight I got my leftover size out of the fridge, poured it into the tray,skimmed it, and sprinkled my paints, combed them, printed it, rinsed it, and it really worked! Just like the picture on the top of page 15 of Galen Berry's book, the example of terrible beginner marbling... but IMHO it was marbled, the paint stuck, and there is definite improvement.
            >
            > But here's my question - after I made a few more prints, the paints started to sink more and spread less. I can only assume this was because the size was approaching room temperature? How can I fix this for next time? I would like to be able to make more than two prints per session....
            >
            > Also, besides Galen Berry's book, what other books and DVDs should I have? (not including the 300 dollar ones that are out of print that I have on reserve at the library :-)
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Elizabeth in NC

            > Reply to sender
            >
            > Reply to group
            >
            > Start a New Topic
            >
            > Messages in this topic (2)
            >

            > RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 1 New Photos 5
            > Visit Your Group
            >

            > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback
            >

            > .

          • Esdehority
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2013
              Believe it or not, they have this at our library, it is in stock, and my husband just reserved it for me.

              The Ultimate Marbling Handbook,

              Thanks so much,

              Elizabeth