inks on ebay UK

  • esdehority
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2013
      There are marbling inks on ebay UK that are not available here, in particular a brand called Scola... are these like Sumi inks? I like doing sumi style marbling with my children, but the colors in the kits here are limited (and I am too lazy to start mixing and putting in new dropper bottles) Any reviews? Thanks,

      Elizabeth in NC
    • John Pratt
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2013
        Elizabeth

        I am currently in Ireland and purchased Scola Marbling Inks in
        Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland. The colors are quite vibrant and I got
        about three or four sheets from the same bath. There is no list of
        materials on the box but I believe it is oil based. There is a
        residual odor that makes me believe that the inks are oil based. The
        inks are floated on water but I seemed to get a number of air bubbles
        on the surface of the bath which were hard to break and would print
        on the paper. Also the colors seemed to break up with multiple dips
        and become grainy. I was not happy with the results and do not
        intend to use the product again.

        In the states, Oregon, I either use japanese ink sticks or a product
        called Boku-Undo. Boku-Undo is available many
        places. I have purchased it in a local art supply store in Eugene,
        Oregon. Some online marbling suppliers are <dharmatrading.com>,
        <dickblick.com/catalogues/marbling>, <colophonbookarts.com>.
        Colophon has larger bottles of the inks where as some companies only
        have the six color starter sets. Boku-Undo's site is <boku-
        undo.co.jp>. I highly recommend the product and it may be
        available it in your area, or by mail from any number of art suppliers.

        John Pratt