Patterns

  • KimH
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
      Before I ask my question(s), I want to say thank you to all who have offered me suggestions. I've taken them all under consideration, and in most cases have implemented many of them. It has really helped.

      Okay, my question. I am trying to replicate some traditional patterns and rather than getting the traditional, I get something rather unique. I would like to have some actual success in getting what I am trying for. I have a few examples and questions.

      When I am going for the stone or rock look, I cover the area with a base color or two, then as I add the "rocks" the initial splatter of paint usually spreads very far and creates an area of very large "rocks" while the rest of the design has a moderate smattering of rocks and pebbles. How do I avoid that first splatter spreading like mad and the subsequent splatters (of the same exact color) giving nice moderate sized rocks and pebbles?

      Next, and last, question. I am trying for a Peacock or Bouquet pattern and I get...I don't know what I get, it is just not either the Peacock or Bouquet. When I get to using the Bouquet comb, I am not sure of the movement down the tray. Is it more like a block movement, back and forth down the tray - or is it more like an "s" movement down the tray. Or is it neither of those? I've tried both and I am doing something very wrong because I don't get the pattern. Can someone describe the motion to me, or link me to a video that would help?

      Thanks so much!
      Kim
    • Nancy Akerly
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
        Kim, may I send you some handouts I use when I teach my classes? Yes, it is an S movement with the Peacock, but an S with the front pins, while the back pins complete the S to make an 8. Hope the pages help. I will send them in two emails as they are memory intensive.
        Nancy

        Sent from my iPad
        Liberty Grove Paper Arts
        http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

        On Apr 3, 2013, at 9:19 PM, "KimH" <kahether@...> wrote:

        > Before I ask my question(s), I want to say thank you to all who have offered me suggestions. I've taken them all under consideration, and in most cases have implemented many of them. It has really helped.
        >
        > Okay, my question. I am trying to replicate some traditional patterns and rather than getting the traditional, I get something rather unique. I would like to have some actual success in getting what I am trying for. I have a few examples and questions.
        >
        > When I am going for the stone or rock look, I cover the area with a base color or two, then as I add the "rocks" the initial splatter of paint usually spreads very far and creates an area of very large "rocks" while the rest of the design has a moderate smattering of rocks and pebbles. How do I avoid that first splatter spreading like mad and the subsequent splatters (of the same exact color) giving nice moderate sized rocks and pebbles?
        >
        > Next, and last, question. I am trying for a Peacock or Bouquet pattern and I get...I don't know what I get, it is just not either the Peacock or Bouquet. When I get to using the Bouquet comb, I am not sure of the movement down the tray. Is it more like a block movement, back and forth down the tray - or is it more like an "s" movement down the tray. Or is it neither of those? I've tried both and I am doing something very wrong because I don't get the pattern. Can someone describe the motion to me, or link me to a video that would help?
        >
        > Thanks so much!
        > Kim

      • D or Jer Guffey
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
          Hi,

          I find the order in which to apply the colors can make all the difference. Some colors are "chasers" that is, they move the other ones out. If you put that "chaser" on first, then apply the other colors you can sometimes solve the problem. Are you using acrylics? Sad to say, the manufactures keep changing the formulas...so the color that works fine the first time you use it, does not always work the next time you buy it because it really isn't the same paint, even though it's the same manufacturer and color.

          There are not easy answers...just keep experimenting.

          sending marbleous good wishes,

          d. guffey