Re: [Marbling] Re: Applying Alum

  • MH
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
      Very good. Good luck and let us know how it goes. --Marc

      On Mar 26, 2013, at 2:21 PM, KimH wrote:

      > Thanks Marc, this sounds very similar to what I was doing but takes it a bit further. I'm going to try this (going over the sheet a second time, putting alum sides together - love this, and letting it sit overnight between the boards). I think going these extra few steps will fix my problems.
      > THANKS!
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, MH <bannerworks@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > When I apply alum, I do it as you describe. Then I go over the sheet again, this time from top to bottom. This evens out any streaks caused by the first application. Then I lay two sheets together, alummed faces touching. I then put this pair of sheets between boards, building a stack. When I've alummed all my sheets, I put heavy weights on top of the board/paper stack and let it sit overnight. The next day, the paper is flat and dry (or very nearly so) and I have no problem with the paint coming off or with streaks. Hope this helps.
      > >
      > > --Marc Horovitz
      > >

      > > On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:08 PM, KimH wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I am a newbie who is getting much better at marbling. I am having a slight issue with the paint not staying on the paper. I think it is either the (alum-ed) paper was not completely dry (the paint washed off) or I had small streaks where the alum didn't get (small streaks of paint came of completely on the edges). I have a couple of questions. I used a flat sponge to put the alum on in overlapping strokes from left to right. Do I just need to be more careful when covering the paper, or would a mister work better than a sponge? Would that help for those edges I sometimes miss? How about sitting time for the alum-ed paper? I put it between boards and let it sit for about a half-hour or more. Should I take the paper out at some point and let it completely dry, or should the half hour under the boards be adequate?
      > > >
      > > > I should note that most of my marbling did take, and I was extremely pleased to have a successful go of it this last weekend.

    • George Reynolds
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2013
        Well I use a slightly different approach which works every time. I often use Canson 140 lb Watercolor Aquarelle. You can get it in packs of 30 sheets for $1 per sheet and Michaels has been selling them 1/2 price lately. But I use the same approach for all paper. Soooo for the Alum I lay it flat on a table and mist it quite thoroughly and wipe over it from top to bottom with a sponge that I use only for Alum and keep it sealed so it stays wet. Then I hang the paper to dry often with heavy paper clips on the bottom so it dries flat. This takes about an hour in my basement. Then I put it under some weighted boards (with other dried Alumed paper) so it gets very flat. I have used paper that has been stored for weeks and it works fine. Try to have a light opposite where you are working so you can see any places the wiping missed and make sure those spots are covered.