Re: Tiger eye

  • Barb Skoog
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12 1:01 PM
      Wait ~ you use plain potassium carbonate? Really? That's amazing. How does it differ from potash in terms of effect on the Tiger's Eye? I know there are some similarities between the two chemicals but it never occured to me to use just K2CO3. I've always used the fertilizer potash stuff. I like the idea of the more pure additive. Thanks so much for the tip! I'm going to try it out. (I use Golden/Liquitex acrylics on carrageenan.)

      Cheers,
      Barb

      BarbSkoog
      www.BarbSkoog.com
      Cheers@...

    • Hagen Miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13 7:08 AM
        I had intended to use potash, but already had the other stuff on hand for
        bookbinding, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't have a clearly
        defined formula yet -- still tweaking it. The eyes come out beautifully on
        the size but still tend to distort here and there on the print. I'll try
        to get a good picture next time I give it a go.

        Whereas potash can have some caustic properties to it, the K2CO3 is
        strongly alkaline. I couldn't tell you the exact differences, but in
        theory the pure salt doesn't contaminate the carrageenan as much. Using
        this stuff, my eyes don't come out very large. It's a fine field of small
        ones, the largest ones being about the size of a nickel, maybe a few that
        are a tiny bit larger.

      • Barb Skoog
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13 3:42 PM
          Thanks, Hagen. Helpful info. I do hope it helps with not tainting the bath so much. My K2CO3 that I recently ordered off Amazon is scheduled to arrive by early next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Looking forward to experimenting.

          Cheers,
          Barb

          www.BarbSkoog.com
          Cheers@...