Tiger eye

  • leroymarbling
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
      Does anyone know what to add to paint to produce a tiger's eye pattern? The paint I have is 5 parts GAC 900, 5 parts golden acrylics paint, and 3 parts distilled water with a bit of ox gall, and the size I am using is methylcellulose, but I plan to change to carrageenan eventually. I produced a black by adding a bit of sumi ink that I ground myself from a stick(sense their carbon black paint wont float. I also do sumi-e painting) to a dark grey I mixed from the primary colours, and this is what I would like to make the tigers eye solution from, if possible. I've been starting to marble shirts, and would like to be able to make the tiger eyes on shirts, if this is possible.
    • hagen_hsm
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2013
        You'll need to add potash, or potassium carbonate for your tigers eye. With acrylics I've done it using the K2CO3 variety that's marketed for brewing and wine making. I picked up a few pounds of it on Amazon for relatively cheap.

        You'll need to add a lot of it, and test. About one tablespoon per cup is a good starting point. You might also need to further dilute your paint with water, otherwise the eyes might just slide right off the sheet. When you switch to carrageenan, you might have to re-visit your measurements.

        Cheers,
        H.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
          Alright, I'll try it out. Though, like I said, this will go on shirts, so the paint will need to be permanent enough so the shirt is still washable and the pattern shouldn't fade- much different than on paper. But I'll test it and see if it holds out.

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hagen_hsm" <hagen@...> wrote:

          > You'll need to add potash, or potassium carbonate for your tigers eye. With acrylics I've done it using the K2CO3 variety that's marketed for brewing and wine making. I picked up a few pounds of it on Amazon for relatively cheap.
          >
          > You'll need to add a lot of it, and test. About one tablespoon per cup is a good starting point. You might also need to further dilute your paint with water, otherwise the eyes might just slide right off the sheet. When you switch to carrageenan, you might have to re-visit your measurements.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > H.
          >
          > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "leroymarbling" <leroymarbling@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know what to add to paint to produce a tiger's eye pattern? The paint I have is 5 parts GAC 900, 5 parts golden acrylics paint, and 3 parts distilled water with a bit of ox gall, and the size I am using is methylcellulose, but I plan to change to carrageenan eventually. I produced a black by adding a bit of sumi ink that I ground myself from a stick(sense their carbon black paint wont float. I also do sumi-e painting) to a dark grey I mixed from the primary colours, and this is what I would like to make the tigers eye solution from, if possible. I've been starting to marble shirts, and would like to be able to make the tiger eyes on shirts, if this is possible.

        • Barb Skoog
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
            Wait ~ you use plain potassium carbonate? Really? That's amazing. How does it differ from potash in terms of effect on the Tiger's Eye? I know there are some similarities between the two chemicals but it never occured to me to use just K2CO3. I've always used the fertilizer potash stuff. I like the idea of the more pure additive. Thanks so much for the tip! I'm going to try it out. (I use Golden/Liquitex acrylics on carrageenan.)

            Cheers,
            Barb

            BarbSkoog
            www.BarbSkoog.com
            Cheers@...

          • Hagen Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
              I had intended to use potash, but already had the other stuff on hand for
              bookbinding, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't have a clearly
              defined formula yet -- still tweaking it. The eyes come out beautifully on
              the size but still tend to distort here and there on the print. I'll try
              to get a good picture next time I give it a go.

              Whereas potash can have some caustic properties to it, the K2CO3 is
              strongly alkaline. I couldn't tell you the exact differences, but in
              theory the pure salt doesn't contaminate the carrageenan as much. Using
              this stuff, my eyes don't come out very large. It's a fine field of small
              ones, the largest ones being about the size of a nickel, maybe a few that
              are a tiny bit larger.

            • Barb Skoog
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
                Thanks, Hagen. Helpful info. I do hope it helps with not tainting the bath so much. My K2CO3 that I recently ordered off Amazon is scheduled to arrive by early next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Looking forward to experimenting.

                Cheers,
                Barb

                www.BarbSkoog.com
                Cheers@...