Ox Gall

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2013
      this is in the Archives also, but Ox Gall is used mainly when you are
      marbling with watercolor paint. When you are using acrylics, Photo - flo
      is better. The best source I have found for it is:

      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28195-REG/Kodak_1464510_Photo_Flo_200_Solution.html

      the 16 oz bottle will last you for a long time because you usually only use
      1 or 2 teaspoons of it to 6 - 8 ounces of water, unless you are doing
      Suminagashi, in which case you could use it almost straight. You have to
      experiment because most acrylics already have a type of surfactant added to
      them, which is what makes them spread. A lot of acrylics can be used with
      just water to thin them down, but every color is different, so you have to
      experiment.

      I keep a small tank beside me to test out colors before I drop them in the
      larger tank, or for the scarves, I test them in one end first to see if
      they will sink or float.

      Good luck,
      Sue

    • Lilly Thingz
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
        > Photo - flo is better. The best source I have found for it is:
        >
        >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28195-REG/Kodak_1464510_Photo_Flo_200_Solution.html
        >
        >the 16 oz bottle will last you for a long time because you usually only use
        >1 or 2 teaspoons of it to 6 - 8 ounces of water,
        >
        >Thank you Sue.  Interesting about the polymer surfecant when using acrylics.  I'll keep that in mind.

        Sincerely, Lilly