Re: Introduction

  • iris nevins
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 25, 2000
      All I can say is if you love it, bear with the bad shows for a while
      longer. You never know who you may meet. I built my mail order busines by
      doing every show I could concievably drive to (in this case between Boston
      and Washington DC) for many, many years, met many people who ended up
      ordering through the mail.

      Luckily, this was in the late 70's and into the late 80's, when people were
      spending lots of money and loved this "new" craft called marbling, so the
      timing was definitely better. There also were not too many marblers around.
      But it was a hard push getting out and selling.

      Until '82 or so, I kept a part time job as well. The 80's and early 90's
      were phenomenal times for working marblers....it was amazing to find many
      of us were actually making quite a good annual income at it. Then things
      slowed down, I believe for all of us. Marbling, with the general public,
      can be kind of faddish and it has its ups and downs. Over the course of a
      couple of years many marblers were working way less. Personally, about half
      my work dwindled away......but I was glad, it was too much work.

      Through the 80's and early 90's, I felt like a "marbling machine". I had to
      have an assistant just to keep up, and was churning out up to 300 sheets a
      week, and some fabrics from time to time. Not to mention writing the
      marbling manuals, articles for Ink & Gall, and teaching occassionally. Now
      I do way less, probably averaging 400-600 sheets per month, plus I took on
      Decorative Papers, Faith Harrison's marbling supply company several years
      ago. I have other interests I devote some time to, now that there is a
      little time. I am also a Classical (as in ancient styles), Medieval, and
      occassionally modern jeweler.

      My work week usually goes like so: Monday & Tuesday tend to be the marbling
      days, with the rest of the week intermingled with my "real life" since I
      work at home now, consists of pre-aluming papers for the next week's
      orders, making what paints are low, shipping paper orders, packing paint
      orders, and doing the boring bookkeeping, paperwork etc.

      Working as a marbler isn't all fun. It's pretty high stress as far as jobs
      go....I do a fair amount of small press work, which means matching hundreds
      of papers very closely, or matching early papers (or trying as best as one
      can), and sometimes the most nerve-wracking can be trying to match one's
      own papers from a previous marbling session, as I'm sure you all
      know....and that is the most embarrassing! People who do not marble don't
      get this at all and think it should be easy.

      So hopefully that should answer the question....how do other people's
      marbling lives go, or fit into the rest of their life?

      Best,
      Iris Nevins
    • JK
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 26, 2000
        Located in North Eastern Oregon and interest in everything to do with
        paper and the paper arts. Also bookbinding and a number of other crafts.
        Very new to Marbling, I am endeavoring to learn more. Thank you for a
        marbling site. Jeannie
      • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 26, 2000
          Greetings list members. I'm John Ang from Singapore. I'm very glad that this list is formed so that we can share our experience of
          marbling. My interest in marbling started when I bought a book titled "Paper Pleasures" by Faith Shannon.
          A chapter was devoted to marbling. My initial attempts at marbling did not yield satisfactory results, so I shelfed this creft.
          A holiday trip to Italy 3 years ago brought me into contact with marbling again. I was fortunate to meet a marbler in Venice who gave me a personal demonstration.
          From that day onwards, I was hooked. I scoure the Internet, bookstores, library for marbling information.
          Whenever I have time, I will do marbling. That could mean sometimes into the wee hours of morning.
          I'm still improving on my techniques. Please visit my website <http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>.
          I will be adding more information.

          Regards
        • Diane M. Wood
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 28, 2000
            Hi everyone,

            I'm Sissy. I was so delighted to see an announcement about this marbling
            group on another list I'm on. From the first post put out by Jill on this
            list, I realized I had found a jewel of a list. I love paper arts of all
            kinds. I make books, do art journaling, and create collages, cards, boxes,
            and so forth. Anything that can be covered is fair game.

            I'm not an experienced marbler, but want to be. Probably 8 years ago I took
            a one day class in marbling fabric (I was into quilting at the time). Then
            this past year I ordered a marbling kit and played with it some. I haven't
            been real satisfied with my results. I also have done a little suminigashi
            marbling. I hope to one day take a class from someone like Iris. I love
            adding marbled papers to my books and other creations.

            I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from all of
            you.

            Sissy
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 28, 2000
              Nice to meet ya Sissy!
              Speaking of suminigashi--who here on the list does this type of marbling
              more?
            • DKMaurer1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                Hello -- I'm Diane Maurer-Mathison. I've been marbling, teaching workshops,
                selling marbling supplies and writing about paper art for about 20 years.
                (The last two books were PAPER ART and THE ULTIMATE MARBLING HANDBOOK.) I do
                mostly traditional watercolor and suminagashi marbling, but often explore
                paste papers, sometimes marbling over them to create special papers for
                collage. Its great to be part of the community --it gets lonely here in rural
                Pennsylvania!
              • J Dolphin
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                  Now there's something! Marbling OVER a paste paper---if you have a file to
                  upload to let us see what you mean--please feel free to do this. I will
                  ask--your paste papers are themselves without texture? The paste papers I
                  see here around Ottawa always seem to have paint very thickly
                  applied--ridging and such--so--I am curious--if your papers are like
                  that--the actual marbling on Top of the paper, sinking into the valleys of
                  the page created with thick paint edges--what does that end up looking like?
                  Thaks
                  Jill

                • Bagladyann@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                    Boy, I am really intimated about introducing myself after all these
                    professionals on this list. I have always been intrigued with marbling. I had
                    bought a kit a long time ago and so many things has prevent me from doing
                    this. But at the ripe old age of 61 I seem to be on an art quest. I would
                    like to learn how to do this, just for my personal use. I did take a class
                    years ago and loved it. I like the idea of paste paper and then marble over
                    it. As for me I am a widow of 22 years, raised 4 kids and am now just finding
                    the time for me. Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
                    Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki
                  • evibol@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                      Hi everyone,
                      My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                      I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                      Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                      I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                      a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                      sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                      with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                      cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                      to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                      in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                      two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                      to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                      papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                      searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                      talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                      became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                      and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                      I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                      marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                      as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                      a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                      eventually I will.
                      Evi
                    • J Dolphin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                        Of COURSE you are an an asset to this list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe with this
                        list--you are going to get the exact opportunity you seek to do hands on
                        marbling. And THAT will be terrific!!!!!
                        Jill

                        >From: Bagladyann@...
                        Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
                        >Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki

                      • G
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                          Hi, I am Georgie McNeese and I haven't tried marbling, but it sounds
                          absolutely fascinating. I am looking forward to learning from all of
                          you. Thanks Jill for the list. It looks like it's going to be very
                          popular.

                          evibol@... wrote:

                          > From: evibol@...
                          >
                          > Hi everyone,
                          > My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                          > I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                          > Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                          > I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                          > a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                          > sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                          > with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                          > cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                          > to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                          > in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                          > two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                          > to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                          > papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                          > searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                          > talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                          > became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                          > and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                          > I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                          > marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                          > as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                          > a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                          > eventually I will.
                          > Evi

                          > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
                          > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
                          > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
                          > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                          > Shortcut URL to this page:

                          Adel Ga Online
                          Webmeistress
                          http://www.adelga.com
                          Get Paid for surfing the web click here:
                          http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=EFW-151
                          Be sure to use ID# EFW-151
                        • ElizabethOrme
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
                            Hello to everyone on the list.

                            My housband and J have created a web site regarding marbled paper:

                            Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us his way of marbling.
                            We are not professionals and we are located in Italy.
                            Our interest in decorated paper started in an old bookbinding shop where, for the first time, we saw woodengraved decorated paper ( xilography) and the traditional marbled ones.
                            Since then we read many books among which we may suggest:

                            Le papier maebré son histoire e sa fabrication     Doizy  Ipert

                            Marbling Paper     Anne Chamber

                            Marbled Paper   Richard J. Wolf

                            Varieties of Spanish Marbling    Iris Nevins

                            Since then we have lwasted a lot of paper, ox gall and colors.
                            Starting off with caragheen moss, worked in the old way, we have ended up using methilcellulosa and from the beginning we have been using goeche: Maimeri and Lukas.
                            We like doing spanish very much.
                            The reference model was  " New Jersey Ripple" by Iris Nevins in her book " Variety of.....

                            So thanks Jill for your invitation, we are now on the list.
                          • John Ang Cheng Siew
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
                              Welcome to the list.

                              I was also fortunate to have met Mr Valese in Venice. We found his shop
                              while holidaying there. At that time I only had a passing interest in
                              marbling. We struck a conversation about his work and he was kind enough to
                              invite my wife and I to his studio where he demostrated marbling to us. He
                              did a piece of Italian vien and on that he did some flower design. I got to
                              keep that marbled paper. From that time onwards I found great interest in
                              marbling.

                              I believe Alberto using tragacanth gum for his size and he doesn't alum his
                              paper. I forgot to ask him what type of paint he uses. Do you have any idea?

                              Mr Valese shop is at Venice, S.Marco - Campo S. stefano 3471
                              P.S. He has a pet dog call sumi.

                              At 05:09 PM 31-03-2000 +0200, you wrote:
                              > Hello to everyone on the list. My housband and J have created a web
                              >site regarding marbled paper: www.lemarcheonline.net/venicepaper
                              >Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute
                              >to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us
                              >his way of marbling.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              .
                              .-P

                              John Ang Cheng Siew
                              My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
                            • carylhanc@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 9 12:47 PM
                                Hi!
                                I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
                                giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
                                information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
                                learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
                                Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
                                time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
                                realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
                                production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
                                permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
                                that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
                                is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
                                design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                                can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                                Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                                carylhanc@...
                              • D. Guffey
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 9 2:17 PM
                                  Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                                  >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                                  >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                                  >carylhanc@...

                                  Hi Caryl,

                                  Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
                                  incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
                                  both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
                                  without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
                                  scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
                                  to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
                                  scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
                                  needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
                                  taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
                                  two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
                                  marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
                                  two edges with the rods.

                                  This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
                                  it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
                                  try to re-describe it.

                                  Good luck,

                                  d.guffey
                                • D. Guffey
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 16 8:00 PM
                                    At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
                                    >Hi, D. Guffey!
                                    >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
                                    >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
                                    >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
                                    >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
                                    >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
                                    >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
                                    >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
                                    >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
                                    >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
                                    >Thanks for writing!
                                    >Caryl Hancock, Indy

                                    Hi Caryl,

                                    One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
                                    the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
                                    One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
                                    will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
                                    By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
                                    down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
                                    ventured, nothing gained.

                                    Best of luck in your adventures,

                                    d.guffey
                                  • J Dolphin
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                                      Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
                                      taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
                                      started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
                                      post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
                                      list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
                                      operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
                                      respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
                                      isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
                                      way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
                                      site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
                                      To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
                                      http://www.delphiforums.com/
                                      They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
                                      That---you need to go here:
                                      http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
                                      Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
                                      Thanks
                                      Jill

                                      > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
                                      > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
                                      > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
                                      > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
                                      > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
                                      > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

                                    • sixshort
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                          -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                                          do you get into the next bit -
                                          forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                                          that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                                          are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                                          thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--