Re: [Marbling] Re: ox gall

  • Lilly Thingz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24 9:06 AM
      Thank you John and Iris,  I didn't think that they would diminish it but it does make sense.
       I guess Basic Crafts Co in NYC is gone as well?  Gabriele mentions it in her Supply Sources
      but I could not find it, but then again Grunebaum's book is 30 years old.

      Lilly
      : irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

    • D or Jer Guffey
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24 9:21 AM
        I marble with acrylics and they do not need additional oxgall...

        d.guffey

      • anthonianthonianthoni
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25 8:00 AM
          Yes and No.
          The ox-gall is indeed the bile-juice of the ox, cow, calf, bull &c. the same product is used both in watercolours & marbling. The only difference is that the stuff sold for use in W/ colour tends to be weaker than that sold for marbling.
          However, the bile juice of the cow does not need to be used. It appears that any beast which has a gall can make perfectly servicable stuff for marbling. I have even heard that the finest gall for marbling comes from the gallbladder of a fish.